Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Introduce myself

Welcome to losethestraps.com - the original site dedicated to kitesurfers that are evolving the strapless scene. Please introduce yourself to the forum by posting here.

Moderator: Lonny

Introduce myself

Postby mikelet » Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi guys!:
Will try to introduce myself,but first of all thanks & congratulations for this forum... :D
I'm from Spain,five years kiting(TT'ed),no surf or windsurf background,so i was happy enough when one year an a half before i purchased a 5.5 quad fin from DC and forced myself to learn to ride a surfboard nearly from zero.Had really good times with it strapped,and allowed me to learn how to jibe and ride out of backstrap in lightwinds.Always been curious about get a ride strapless,but was lazy for take out the straps and had to put it on another time for windier days... :oops:
The Dark side was growing on me,when i find my oportunity last month on a trip along the coast of portugal.I was on Peniche,when taking a look to a surfshop,something in the second hand section takes all my attention...it was a nearly brand new Salomon noseless 5.0 ,of course i left the shop with the baby in my hands for a price 220 euros!!!,nice.
Day before low winds blowing ,so perfect to have a ride with the board:
First of all i wanna say the bottom end of the board it's very similar to my DC if not better.Next after some attempts was the fun of the day,what a ride.....!!!,ended with a biigggggg smile after spending 1,5 hour on the water.Nor my TT or my strapped DC that i tried to ride before in the low onshore winds beated the fun i had going strapless.What a feeling!,it's just like riding nude or something... :D
Back to home now,i had few sessions too and everyday it's better.
Need to get a try strapless with the DC quad,but something says to me it's a more technichal ride as i don't feel the board as loose and sweet than the Salomon.....time will tell

Cheers!
Good winds,Fun ride!
mikelet
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Introduce myself

Postby Lonny » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:43 pm

Hey Mikelet,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for joining and sharing your stoke for strapless riding.

That Solomon sounds really nice. I am heading up to the Surf Expo next week in Orlando, and I am going to shop for a new strapless stick. I can't wait to find a new ride for this season and your post got me even more fired up. How much longer can you ride in Spain? Does your season end soon or can you ride through some of the Winter and Spring months where you are?

When you get some time it would be great if you can post some pictures of your board and feedback about it on the Shredding on your Surfboard forum (link below). A lot of the users are all trying to learn what works and what doesn't and the more good feedback we have from the strapless the community the more we learn.
viewforum.php?f=7

There is also some other riders who really seem to like the Solomon. Check it:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=38&start=15#p288

BTW - How did you find out about LTS?
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby mikelet » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:32 pm

Thanks for your wellcome Lonny!
I found LTS a fresh forum,that is covering an amazing and "new "way of riding for kiteboarders that makes almost any shape/board from other watersports ridable.Just what i need,a forum for board maniacs :mrgreen:
Really hope more people joins the LTS and we will have more gear reviews...
Regarding to our season here,having mediterranean conditions,during summer we get often thermal winds,normally are low strenght between 11-17 knots,perfect to just cruise or practice surface moves with kite surfboards or "any other ridable objects" instead of draggin along the rail of a fat TT to get upwind.In winter winds are stronger but we expect for the storms come or go to get winds,but on some spots we can get decent waves.
Hope you find a bunch of new toys in the surf expo,i will be aware of any reviews.

Cheers!
mikelet
mikelet
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:02 pm

mikelet wrote:Thanks for your wellcome Lonny!
I found LTS a fresh forum,that is covering an amazing and "new "way of riding for kiteboarders that makes almost any shape/board from other watersports ridable.Just what i need,a forum for board maniacs :mrgreen:
Really hope more people joins the LTS and we will have more gear reviews...

:lol: Well there are definitely some maniacs on this forum already. 8)

Right now we are growing slowly, but steadily. Like you said, this is a "new" way of thinking about kiteboarding and the majority of kiters have not really "stepped outside the box". However, I believe there will be more and more of us each day and we are here to help show them the way :!:

Please help out by telling your friends to join up and help build the community. We will try to keep as much good information flowing as we can.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby bruno » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:20 am

Hi! I wish my english was like Mikelet´s one to introduce myself!!!
I also live in Spain,and looking for a strappless life!!
Congratulations for the page!!
bruno
Grom

Share |

Postby spewing » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:05 am

Hi
i really like this site. Ive been kiting for quite a while now but my main passion is surfing and for me kiteing has always been a fill in when the surf has been blown out.

Surfing has meant that even when kiting i always want to be riding waves so most of the time i find myself on a directional and in the last couple of years a skim too.

Ive never been really happy with the commercially available boards. Even the good ones i cant help thinking need tweaking to suit the way i like to ride so this year in planing to build some boards for myself. Ive already had loads of inspiration from your posts and hope i can add something myself.

Thanks

Kev
spewing
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:00 pm

spewing wrote:Hi
i really like this site. Ive been kiting for quite a while now but my main passion is surfing and for me kiteing has always been a fill in when the surf has been blown out.

Surfing has meant that even when kiting i always want to be riding waves so most of the time i find myself on a directional and in the last couple of years a skim too.

Ive never been really happy with the commercially available boards. Even the good ones i cant help thinking need tweaking to suit the way i like to ride so this year in planing to build some boards for myself. Ive already had loads of inspiration from your posts and hope i can add something myself.

Thanks

Kev

Hey Kev,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thanks for joining us here. It great to have some guys with a hardcore surfing background. I am sure your perspective with be of great value to the board. When you plan on doing your construction please do post pictures of your progress, and projects here:
viewforum.php?f=9

There are quite a few board tinkers on the site already, and it great to share ideas about building the next great wind tool. 8)

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Welcome