Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

basics of skimkiting

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

basics of skimkiting

Postby hen » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:57 am

Hi all,
i got an underground custom skim 135*51 and would like to get some tips info on riding the baord with kites (ion3 8.5 m and rhino6 14m ) stance position ,craving, balance etc . any good sites etc out there .
I ride a TT but was recommended to try riding this board b 4 progressing onto a kite surf board . No experience surfing just kiting .
Ta :D
flexifoil ion3 8.5 m
North Rhino6 14m
Underground FLX 132 08
Underground Custom skim board 135*51
Nobile 555 134*40
hen
Grom

Share |

Re: basics of skimkiting

Postby Lonny » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:51 pm

Hey Hen,

Welcome to losethestraps! You found the right site! :D

Your Underground sounds very similar in size to the skimmy that I ride, which is a Zap Phase 5, 54 (138) x 20.5 (52). Generally, you can ride a kite size smaller than you would normally ride on your TT. On my skim I can start riding with my 12m Switchblade IDS in 10 mph, and I weigh 160 lbs. Depending on your weight you should be able to get about the same low end with your 14m Rhino. The Ion 8.5 should be the kite you try to get on as much as possible. One of the best things about riding a skim or surfboard is that you can get on a smaller kite sooner. I can easily start riding my Switchblade IDS 8 in around 16 - 18 mph :!: I find it is also easier to develop good technique if you are on your favorite kite style or size.

As far as stance goes it should not be much more different than your normal stance - just stand where you are comfortable on your board. Also, remember your skim should ride as well or almost as well backwards as it does forwards, so don't worry about gybing it at first. Just ride it backwards and forwards and send the kite over your head to transition like you would on a TT. When you are riding try working on shuvits, and 180 slides. That is the best place to start when building your technique to progress. If you have questions on either of these let me know and I can explain them further. Also you might want to watch our skim video to get some ideas:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63

Also, keep in mind that riding a skim or a surfboard is a very different feel. The great thing about riding a skim is that it will give you a good feel for riding without straps and when you jump on your surfboard without straps (hopefully :P) that you will be more adjusted to that style of riding. Both are great to ride and a lot of fun. Quite often I will do a skim session and then go for a surfboard session, especially in surf.

Let me know if I can help you with anything else... :mrgreen:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby hen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:52 am

hey lonny ,
many thanks for the tips etc :D . the 8.5 m kite is best suited as the rhino 14m is difficult to manage when learning the basics. if u get some time maybe you could explain the shuvits, and 180 slides . not sure if the board will ride both ways but must try . there are 2 35 mm fins but easy to remove . i'll try to post a pic of the baord as there are no pads on it and i have to wax the deck . i might put the pads on it.
H
flexifoil ion3 8.5 m
North Rhino6 14m
Underground FLX 132 08
Nobile 555 134*40
hen
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:09 pm

No problem at all. I really enjoy helping new riders find the joys of riding strapless.

I would definitely recommend riding without your fins for 2 reasons. The first, is learning to ride your skim with proper technique. Even though it will be more difficult to ride at first because the board will feel super loose, and almost like it wants to come out from under your feet. However, believe me when I say that the fins are not necessary, especially once you learn the proper technique of riding the rail of your skimmy and getting your stance and kite position right. In some ways the fins can almost cheat you of developing a good skim technique because you don't really feel a skim fully until you ride it fin-less. Once you have your skim mastered then you can add fins when you want them for extra grip or waves. Lets also not forget that you look way cooler to all the other people riding without straps and fins!! :twisted: :lol: Second, if you remove your fins you will find it much much easier to learn to slide your skimmer and learn shuvits. Also, removing the fins will make it a bit easier when riding your board backwards and when you are learning to turnaround. I am sure your board will work backwards. Some work better than others depending on the rocker line, etc. , but you should be fine - just a mental hurdle because the board looks directional - don't worry about that.

Wax vs. pads is a matter of personal taste. I really like pads as they have just as much grip, if not more, and you don't have to re-wax your board all the time. Plus, when you start learning ollies they protect your board from dings and most importantly, your body to cushion the impact. The only real drawback with pads is that your can lose some of the feel of the board, so whatever pad you use make sure it is relatively thin or only a single density especially for your front foot. Tail kick pads are nice for the rear. If you do put pads on, make sure to remove the wax fully and then give your deck a rubbing alcohol treatment to get the pads to adhere well.

The 180 slide is pretty easy and there are a few ways to do it. If you can hop from regular stance to toe-side with your TT that is a good start. If you watch the video at approximately 1:40 you can see me initiate a 180 slide before I complete a handlepass. As you are riding along head towards the kite or downwind a little. Then take your back foot and push it towards the kite and your front foot should push away from the kite. Make sure to keep your kite with power in the direction your are going. It should not be so low that its off the water, but not so high that it pulls you off your board or slows you down too much. Ideally, it should end up being smooth that you slide 180 and keep about the same speed. Once you are riding toe-side get the feel for doing that. It will take some time to get the feel for it as it is a bit different that doing it on a TT. Again, the nice part about removing your fins is that there will be no resistance and the slide will be easier to do. Prepare to fall a lot, but don't worry about it - that is half the fun of learning something new and it makes it all the better when you get it. :wink: Keep in mind that once you feel comfortable doing this trick you can turn it into a transition, but sending the kite the opposite direction and since you are riding toe-side with the board backwards you can turnaround and have the board facing the right way and be in normal stance.

The shuvit is the same movement, but instead of sliding with the board you are going to rotate the board 180, but stay with your same stance. The trick to this move initially is to slowly bring the kite to just above your head, but not behind you in anyway. Once the kite is about to reach 12:30 its time to initiate the shuvit it. The idea is to have the board go 180 and your ride off in the same stance and direction. You can do the 180 by pushing or pulling with your back foot and then doing the opposite with your front foot. Do whatever feels more natural to you. It is not necessary to try to pop the board. At this point you are just try to get the board to move 180 underneath your feet. The reason you want the kite high above your is that you can get a tiny bit of lift from the kite just enough to lighten your feet and let the board spin 180 underneath you. Once you have completed the spin quickly dive the kite back to 2 - 2:30 to generate some power and keep going the same direction. After you have pulled it off don't forget to look around to see if your friend saw you and you can even let out a hoot! :P The Shuvit will probably be harder for you to learn and it does take some time, but in order to progress you have to get the basic shuvit it down. Plus, they are freaking cool. 8) You can see me do a shuvit @ about 1:20 of the skim video. Unfortunately, its a bit far out to see close up what is going on.

Let me know how you are progressing and I can give you more pointers. If there is anything you are not clear on I will be happy to explain further. Todd and I will have basic skim tricks and more advanced ones posted in the next few months. Good luck and rip it strapless. :twisted:

BTW - How did you find LTS?

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby hen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:37 pm

deadly tips !
all i need now is time off work , low tide and low winds 10 -20 knots and i'm out there 8)
Found the site on kiteforum .com and someone in our local crew recommended it to me .
good winds
H
flexifoil ion3 8.5 m
North Rhino6 14m
Underground FLX 132 08
Nobile 555 134*40
hen
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:08 pm

Great. Glad they helped you.

Ireland!! WHOA!! Cool. 8) You have to post some pictures for us and tell us about your spot! Considering how few registered users there are on LTS (changing daily :D ), its amazing how many international riders we have here.. Sweden, Japan, Spain, Italy, Canada, Austraila, and the list is growing every day. Now we can add Ireland to the list! Its even cooler that one of your buddies recommended LTS to you. Keep spreading the word.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kaito » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:22 pm

nice reply Lonny! 8)

All I'd have to add it GET OUT THERE AND GO FOR IT!
Its alot less intimidating than being fully powered & on a TT, but at the same time, skim-kiting does require a bit more technique. :)

oh - and someome mentioned Kiteforum.com...though that site does have its bell's-n-whistles, it does seem to have its share of equally 'interresting' contributors as well.... A bit off topic, but Lonny - as your site/forum grows, please don't let it turn into another KF...I hope you (and WE, as contributors) can keep your forum clean, fun, and positive.
:D

Peace!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:59 pm

Kaito wrote:nice reply Lonny! 8)

oh - and someome mentioned Kiteforum.com...though that site does have its bell's-n-whistles, it does seem to have its share of equally 'interresting' contributors as well.... A bit off topic, but Lonny - as your site/forum grows, please don't let it turn into another KF...I hope you (and WE, as contributors) can keep your forum clean, fun, and positive.
:D

Peace!
K.

Hey K,

As far as kiteforum goes, I respect the site and have been a member since early 2003. However, that being said, I started this site because I felt there was a void and I have a passion for strapless riding. My goal has always and will always be to share the stoke, and NOT the stroke. I am sure users are going to have their opinions and a healthy debate can be a good thing. Myself and the other moderators of this site are dedicated to have a good time helping other people open their minds to strapless kitesurfing, and that is what we are all about here. Other than that there are many other forums they can go to. :wink: The more contributors we have like you and Hen the better the site will be...and you guys will help shape the future of LTS.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby hen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:35 am

pic of my board . would pads ruin the paint job ? think so. i might just put one on the back for the heel .
H
Attachments
UGSKIM.jpg
UGSKIM.jpg (22.92 KiB) Viewed 42524 times
flexifoil ion3 8.5 m
North Rhino6 14m
Underground FLX 132 08
Nobile 555 134*40
hen
Grom

Share |

Postby Kaito » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi hen,
Nice looking board! Looks like it even has the grab-indentions on the rail. Cool!
I think you'll like having a tail pad on the board, and IMHO, I think the softer the better.
Just a cushier feel when edging, and the elevated arch section helps feel where your feet are on the board.

If/when you do put pads on, dont forget to SAND the deck to make sure the adhesive on the tail pad sticks!!
Since you've waxed your board, if you don't sand it first, your pad will start peeling..

Good skimm'n!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Kaito » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:32 pm

As far as kiteforum goes, I respect the site and have been a member since early 2003. However, that being said, I started this site because I felt there was a void and I have a passion for strapless riding. My goal has always and will always be to share the stoke, and NOT the stroke. I am sure users are going to have their opinions and a healthy debate can be a good thing. Myself and the other moderators of this site are dedicated to have a good time helping other people open their minds to strapless kitesurfing, and that is what we are all about here. Other than that there are many other forums they can go to. The more contributors we have like you and Hen the better the site will be...and you guys will help shape the future of LTS.

I hear ya Lonni! Its great that you've set up this forum for us strapless freeeeaks! :lol:
I've been a long time member of KF too..And have seen the change of atmosphere there..
IMHO, healthy debate is one thing, but derragatory, put-downs is another...(I'll keep it at that..) :oops:

For us, by us! 8)
Domo arigato!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy