Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Victoria skims

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Victoria skims

Postby Sean » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 pm

Hi
I caught the skim bug last season when I hopped on a Zap that a buddy had with him.
I've been checking out alot of different ones to see what's out there. I've decided to stick with the traditional pin tail.
On most of the kite forums, everyone talks about the Zap without hardly a peep about Victoria's.
Is there something about the Vics that does not work well for kiting? I was looking at the Vics because you can get them
with S glass, which I thought would be better for kiting (stronger?)

Any thoughts on Vics?

http://www.victoriaskimboards.com/boards/poly.html
Sean
Grom

Share |

Re: Victoria skims

Postby Dready » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:01 pm

victoria has great skims, pluss thay have develop a kite skim too.

regarding to fisnish and coating of it any good brand or costume skims you can find it...

i ride for roushcreation skimboards and thay are really well made boards that you can deside how you want it. i always recomend the morphius and you can get it also on carbon fiber....

http://www.surftech.com
Dready
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:23 pm

Sean wrote:Hi
I caught the skim bug last season when I hopped on a Zap that a buddy had with him.
I've been checking out alot of different ones to see what's out there. I've decided to stick with the traditional pin tail.
On most of the kite forums, everyone talks about the Zap without hardly a peep about Victoria's.
Is there something about the Vics that does not work well for kiting? I was looking at the Vics because you can get them
with S glass, which I thought would be better for kiting (stronger?)

Any thoughts on Vics?

Hey Sean,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thank you for joining. ZAP is a major producer of boards and there are a lot of them around, which is probably why you hear a lot of feedback about using them.

I know Victoria is a major producer as well, but I have never gotten the chance to ride one or see one up close. I checked out the link of the Victoria site, and the board looks good visually. I would probably get the Medium Large or Large depending on your weight, and the conditions you ride in. If you give me some feedback on what type of wind you want to ride in, conditions, and your weight I can fine tune my advice. Also, I highly recommend getting your board with pads. I find it to be a lot more comfortable, and easier to deal with vs. wax.

You might also be interested in checking out the posts by our users talking about their boards:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157

Also, I just had a discussion about Pintail vs. other shapes here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=166#p785

Let me know how I can help further!

If you do get the Victoria please consider posting your review of it on the link above. I am sure we would all appreciate your comments regarding the board.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:46 pm

im luvin my viccky!! although just yesserday my girlfriend asked me if it was a girls board?!?? i think ill cover the logo with an LTS sticker. ive ridden few other skims. im kinda fat and havnt broken it yet. no sliders yet. or dents!! I run two pads. and i suck on it. i can tell you its very tricky and slidey and they make you sign a waiver when you buy it stating youll never ever put fins on it! :shock: good thing about the pin tail is the nose is a pin too and rides just like the tail
. mine is a stock large foamy. i think. its red. it is a shin magnet. with a taste for toes and feet. it been really fun in choppy stuff, and pretty nice in the smaller waves. every things better with butter. i have no pop so i cannot comment yet . it would be much easier to ride with fins, :shock: I was able to drive 1 minute away from our local spot after looking at small waves with kelp, and return ten minutes later with a nice skim with traction pads at about $200. i was sessioning it minutes later. instant gratification. there were shops full of them everywhere. and i got free wax and tide chart!!! :wink:
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:50 am

Sundogchicky,

So modest... Meanwhile the guy kills it. And you didn't even tell us you got your skim! You being all secret? What a deal for that skimmy. I bet that tide chart came in handy. Of course you don't like waves. :P

Post a review of that bad boy so we can get your opinions on it:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby brass » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:43 pm

I have a Victoria Ultra and it's sweet. It's a medium, I think 51"x19" or so. It's my first one so I can only compare it to the Cabal a friend has that I used to borrow. It seems to be a little more, uh how do you say, slippery? But I suck worse than sundog I am sure. I wish I could say that I have hours and hours of use lately and I have its charachteristics dialed but it's hard to rip my skim in the snow.

I can say that it seems durable. Closeout from the website was pretty cheap.
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:50 am

got viccy out in thrty mph plus,with 6 to 8 foot faces. really choopy with some inside butter. super challenging, i was not being secret about getting my skim, only trying to get some skills together before i claim SKIM, as the skim pics and riding ive seen amngst yall seems quite high. i really seem to struggle on my skim.
I seems to me that i use more than twice the energy, concentration and skills to keep that bugger under me. everything has to be done perfect or it doesnt work.
and im kinda flailing out there campared to me surfboards. im beat after.
back to my session, challenging! i like its twin tippity shape, it rides good backwards and helps with the fact that my jibes are weak as best. i will post a video
review if i get wind and youll have a nice sleeper for those with insomnia. i thought all skims were slippery?
whatss a good tracker skim? something that carves turns finless?

my surf boards are magic carpet rides after skimming. what a trainer!! i think ill add leg wieghts on my next session.
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:07 am

grinded rocks with only some deep scratches, still cANt jump the thing, but ill keep at it. luvin the skimin, and am kinda beginning to see what yall like about those slippery things.and thanks for the skimspiration everyone!! sorry for the glitchy footy,got a bad tape....
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Sean » Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Nice man
looks fun. I'm sittin in the deep freeze until probably April so footage is the next best thing.

Which Vic do you have?
Sean
Grom

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:53 am

muchas gracias! hope it warms up fer ya! im on the stock foamie, it rocks!! cant wait to try some other skims from victoria and others! till then im going to be riding that thing most of the time as im perty hooked on flailing about for a while!! challenging little discs!!
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:00 pm

Yeah Brother,

I see the skim snake has bitten you bad. You look pretty damn good on it all ready.. Such a modest one this one... :D I told ya that a top to bottom turn alone on a skim is well worth the price of admission. Now you are going to be a dual session man as well! Way to go. :twisted: Post a review on your skim when you get some time. It would be useful for everyone else:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Slyde » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:23 am

Dude that is top form if you've only just got the skim bug. Nice bottom turns and some nice footswitches to toeside with the transitions. I'm liking what I see.
Slyde
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:13 am

tell me more about my eyes...... :oops: kidding , thanks for the comments!! much appreciated!! since the last few sessions ,the local crew is now skim
shopping. they are all strapless anyway. kinda cool when 13 out 15 out are all strapless. still funny how the crowd favorite is the one twin tipper who is just learning back rolls?
actually those are some of my favorites to watch too.
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy