Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

shove-it 360

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

shove-it 360

Postby patrickrynne » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:16 am

okay, pretty basic trick but I have been having consistency issues.

the question is, which foot do you initiate the board rotation with (the lead foot, or trailing foot). And also, which way do you spin the board. Right now I am initiating the spin with my trailing foot, and rotating the board accordingly (clockwise when right foot forward, and counterclockwise when left foot forward).

i am trying to pull this on the skimmie in waves, but I only land it about 1 out of 4 attempts...thinking there may be a better approach? Seems like once the board is spinning and I am in the air, landing it is sort of like flipping a coin...

cheers

patrick
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: shove-it 360

Postby Lonny » Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:04 am

patrickrynne wrote:okay, pretty basic trick but I have been having consistency issues.

the question is, which foot do you initiate the board rotation with (the lead foot, or trailing foot). And also, which way do you spin the board. Right now I am initiating the spin with my trailing foot, and rotating the board accordingly (clockwise when right foot forward, and counterclockwise when left foot forward).

i am trying to pull this on the skimmie in waves, but I only land it about 1 out of 4 attempts...thinking there may be a better approach? Seems like once the board is spinning and I am in the air, landing it is sort of like flipping a coin...

cheers

patrick

Hey Patrick,

I pretty much always initiate a shuvit but loading up a little by heading upwind and create a little tension between you and the kite - this is especially important in flat water to make it a pop-shuvit :twisted: . I always rotate the board clockwise so depending on which way I am going the foot action changes. If I am riding on starboard (right hand/foot forward) I push with my back foot and pull with my front foot. If I am on Port tack (left hand/foot forward) I will push with my front foot and pull with my back foot. There is some more information on this you might find useful here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=124&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Also you might want to watch the video a bit I do several close up shuvit transitions both ways:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63#p227

Now, if you are doing it while launching off a wave, which is a whole hell of a lot of fun, 8) I can tell you that it is always hit or miss. Once you get air - especially a few feet of air off of a a wave a lot can effect the boards travel to determine whether you can pull the move or not. Many times a gust or a nasty piece of chop can throw your board away from you or hit you in the head, :lol: and it fouls up your wave shuvit. But when you do make it, as I am sure you are aware, it is a great feeling. So the fact that you are hitting 1 out of 4 that is not really to weird. Although, I would get your flat water shuvits down 100% and then when you do some wave shuvits you will have a better chance of hitting them more consistently. Also the fact that you are trying a full 360 vs. a 180 means more can go wrong because the board has to rotate that much more to pull the move.

Let me know if that makes sense to you and if I can help you any more.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Re: shove-it 360

Postby chanson » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:57 pm

I just started landing these a few weeks ago...

such a cool feeling...Like Lonny said, I find it easier and more fun to do it off a wave, b/c you are in the air longer and it feels better when you stomp-it..

I actually can only land them going switch for now....(left-foot-forward), I kick into the wind with the front-foot and kick out(downwind) with the back-foot, and spin the board counter-clockwise...It helps with the kite a little higher than normal for the large ones, b/c you can kinda dangle and float-it more.... just make sure to bring the kite low while landing, to ride away powered....

Also, I have been turning the body 180 degrees in the air, thus, starting left-foot-forward, spinning board 360, and landing right-foot-forward(my dominant foot) and riding away toeside.... that feels really good....

After you start getting them down, you can ride faster, kite lower, and more powered, then it starts to feel more like a skateboard trick :mrgreen:

I took some sweet video from my kite cam, but what do you konw...it never recorded any of it!!!! :evil: oh well, next time.

good luck, let us know how it goes!
chanson
Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy