Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

have skim will travel

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

have skim will travel

Postby brass » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:09 am

hey all-
winter is finally over and I'm kicking off my kiting year with a new spring adventure! Somewhere I have never gone before...I will report back if is is good. This year I want to bring my skim....only. My question then is what is the best way to pack it to avoid paying the $100 surfboard fee on the airline? I have a golf bag but I think the skim is too wide and with all the other gear in there I am a little worried about breakage. One thought I had was to bubble wrap it, carry it on and ask to put it in the suit closet. Suggestions?
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: have skim will travel

Postby Lonny » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:50 am

Last summer when I traveled to Maui the only board I took was my skim. I used a regular Cabrinha travel bag - the non-golf variety. I took my 3 kites out of the bags and wrapped them around so they protected my skim very well. I also used my harness and lycra top to cushion certain areas. My board arrived there and back perfectly. It would be pretty unlikely that you can carry your skim on - especially since most airlines now go out of there way to be rude, and unhelpful. :evil: Although it always depends on the person.

If you want to avoid the $100 fee always go curbside check in with your bags. Approach the bag handler with a $20 in your hand, and ask him to check your bags. He might say something like, "Hmm, that bag might be over-sized" or "Not sure if I can put that on without a fee". That is just code to let you know that he has not seen your $20, or expects more cash to do the job. Believe me these guys could probably put an elephant on the plane for no additional fee if they wanted to. :lol: I have never seen anyone from the airline question them, and I have done this 10 or 15 times. 99.9% of the time your bags will go right past the nasty people at the check in desk and straight on to your flight. Plus you are up $80, didn't deal with the nasty people at check in, and he is $20 happier! Its a win win the way I see it!

Also, this seems kind of obvious, but be nice and respectful to the guy that is helping you out. Greet him with, "Good morning, a thank you, etc." - believe me it goes a long way to determine whether you bag ends up in your destination or 2000 miles away from where you are!

Let us know about your trip, and upload some photos!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Waggy » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:16 pm

Hi...

I always tend to pipe lag the edge of my skim, couple of strips (one each side) held inplace with duck tape or such like, tends to help with any side impact damage as the board takes the brunt of the hits on the edge...just a thought?

Regards... :wink:
A kitesurfer...allways to be enjoyed, never given up, a lifelong commitment, comes over and above your god,partner, job, pets and cuddly toys. The wind is now your god, the sea allways your friend.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby chanson » Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:03 pm

I'll tell you what not to use.. PBR boxes. :lol:

I was in a rush and used some beer 12 packs and my wetsuits before SPI.. Board had some edge damage, nothing major though.. :mrgreen: :oops:
chanson
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby saleeba » Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:02 pm

just goes to show that pbr is really has no value. cant drink it and cant use the boxes for travel. whats the point?
saleeba
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby brass » Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:48 pm

Good tip on the pipe insulation. I went that route and it all fit in my golf bag after all. The only thing is my double top secret to later be disclosed location had to be shelved due to the fact that the F-ING flu craze/overreaction got the beter of me and I cancelled. Yes, the new spot I was looking at is in Mexico so....maybe next year. Had that trip booked since September damnit!! After great expense I am settling on my Cabarete, DR standby which may not be as good for skimming but it's better than sitting on my ass. Will post photos if I can. Adios

and for the record...I love PBR!!!!
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Waggy » Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:40 am

brass wrote:The only thing is my double top secret to later be disclosed location had to be shelved due to the fact that the F-ING flu craze/overreaction got the beter of me and I cancelled.

Bummer about the Mexico trip! but better that then going down with "Pig Flu"...chance is you wont get it? chance is you could?...hard one to judge, how much is hype/over-reaction, how much is fact and a real threat to the average joes health?...me? I'd have cancelled :|
A kitesurfer...allways to be enjoyed, never given up, a lifelong commitment, comes over and above your god,partner, job, pets and cuddly toys. The wind is now your god, the sea allways your friend.
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby brass » Sat May 16, 2009 8:47 pm

Well we are back (sadly) and had a sick time. I skimmed my ass off and I have to say that the whole time I was thinking I just need to say thanks to Lonny and everone on this site for pumping the stoke all winter. I was inspired to ride that thing at every opportuntiy, no real tricks but took it right into the waves. A couple of photos below, sorry no col tricks or wave riding. You can't get the camera out into the waves there. Also sorry about the quality, just a snapshot digital. Pipe insulation in the golf bag was sweet.
RD09 067.jpg
RD09 067.jpg (128.83 KiB) Viewed 55931 times

RD09 066.jpg
RD09 066.jpg (137.62 KiB) Viewed 55931 times

RD09 065.jpg
RD09 065.jpg (154.75 KiB) Viewed 55931 times
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Waggy » Sun May 17, 2009 3:11 am

Brass...cool photo's looks a nice spot to ride, it dont matter about "Cool tricks" what matters is your getting out there on your skimmy and enjoying the whole skim feeling...i was once told you ride for YOU and you get what you want out of it, so long as it gives you a buzz and a smile on your face...it's good! :wink:

Glad the pipe lagging trick worked out for you... :D

Regards...
Waggy
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby cynbad » Sun May 17, 2009 10:11 am

oops.
Last edited by cynbad on Sun May 17, 2009 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
cynbad
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby cynbad » Sun May 17, 2009 10:14 am

by cynbad on Sun May 17, 2009 7:11 am

Sweet pictures!! Lucky....warm water! I just flew back from the winter in Mexico, and they took everyones temperature before letting us check in at the ticket counter. Something totally icky about getting your health checked by someone in a dirty lab coat, in a third world country where the word 'hygiene' doesn't translate! Anyways, I just designed these t-shirts, which are being printed now, and my man is bringing them across the boarder next week. If anyone wants one??? Cheap...
Attachments
Swine t layout.jpg
Swine t layout.jpg (386.79 KiB) Viewed 55892 times
cynbad
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Sun May 17, 2009 4:39 pm

that looks super fun and with surf somewhere near ,even funner, thanks for posting those shots!!!!, like the shirts as well :lol:
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun May 17, 2009 9:28 pm

brass wrote:Well we are back (sadly) and had a sick time. I skimmed my ass off and I have to say that the whole time I was thinking I just need to say thanks to Lonny and everone on this site for pumping the stoke all winter. I was inspired to ride that thing at every opportuntiy, no real tricks but took it right into the waves. A couple of photos below, sorry no col tricks or wave riding. You can't get the camera out into the waves there. Also sorry about the quality, just a snapshot digital. Pipe insulation in the golf bag was sweet.

Brass thanks for posting your shots. That is awesome that you had a great time. You made my day when I read your post. You have no idea how good it makes me feel when I read post like yours about inspiration. The fact that Lose the Straps and all its great members stoked your fire through the cold is epic. Now I will be counting on you guys to take me through our windless season. :cry: I agree with Waggy... Its not about the tricks or fancy moves... Its all about fun, and clearly you had a ton of fun!

Cybad that shirt is hysterical. :lol: Put that thing on e-bay and you will probably sell a ton of them!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy