Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Kites make a difference

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Kites make a difference

Postby coloradokiter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:28 pm

I own a quiver of 09 Helix's but where I work we also have a full run of North EVO's for the school. Lately to open my mind I've been using the EVO's on my skimboard. I really liked how easy they relaunch and how smooth and consistent the power band is. Tonight I jumped back on my Helix and I'm trying to learn how to tack on a surfboard. I was having no real success just getting lucky once in awhile and getting about 1 in 10. Finally I went back in and grabbed the skimmer. To my surprise I could not get any of my tack transitions, no shuvits and I felt like the kite was everywhere and dragging me off. Just last night I was on the EVO hitting everything and tonight on the Helix I can't get squat. I had this experiment before, about 2 months ago with the same result so for me the kite makes a HUGE difference. Now I'm in a quandry because I'll probably have to leave the Naish's and go to the North's. Riding strapless has completely changed my kite feeling. The Helix was awesome when I'm strapped, but now it just doesn't do it for me anymore. So has anyone else just tried other kites for the fun of it and find they do or do not work better? Is the Delta shape just a good strapless type of kite? Does anyone know what type of kite Ian Alldrege rides. I love how smooth he is and I ride for a shop that wants me on Naish kites but damn I'm getting frustrated with the Helix and totally enjoying the EVO. I've also tried the Cult and for waves it's a great kite but for strapless I find it to lose to much power in the turns.

A pro can get on anything but I'm no pro and need all the help I can get :P , so if changing kites does that, well then I'm in :!: :!:
coloradokiter
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Kites make a difference

Postby 57palm » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:06 am

I have been wondering the same things about kites lately and have come to the conclusion that although you can ride just about anything they do make a difference mainly in the power delivery. Some kites are very steady at all areas while some deliver a real slam of power and tend to be more on and off again in turns and through the window. The helix is designed to be a on/off type of kite with lots of power in turns while the cult is a much more gentle kite for power delivery. Depending on how you want to ride these kites are really for different applications. In general for strapless riding I find a little mellower kite is good. I rode a 2007 Ocean rodeo rise and just went to the 2009. It has a noticeably gentler power delivery and much less yank through turns and across the window, easier for sure. But really juts keep on riding and it gets easier no matter what. then when you do find the right kite it will be a cake walk. I have recently been focusing on strapless skim riding and everything else is easier now. Have fun.

Reuben
57palm
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Kites make a difference

Postby starsky » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:07 pm

I find switching up kites kills my flow. No doubt kites are different, but I find the switching the toughest part. Gonna stick with my current kites as long as they last. Nothing like knowing your kite for confidence and progression. I bet if you stuck with the helix you would get it all dialed again soon enough.
starsky
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy