Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Wich size for my first Skim

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Wich size for my first Skim

Postby guenthegun » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:45 am

As I am new here i want to say hello to everybody.
Really nice to see that this is not one of these bashing around kind of forums.

I like to buy my first Skim for kitesurfing. I come from Germany and it seems not easy to get a wave skim here.

I found some named Bugz
http://bugzsurf.com/skimboard%20finder.htm

There is the L Board wich is 124*52*2 cm and the XL wich is 137*58*2 cm
I wonder if the L is maybe to short or the XL is to wide....
I'm about 70 kg and want to use it in light to middle wind conditions. No big waves, cause I've never have seen one here :(

Maybe someone can help my a bit with this decision.

Thanks
Gunnar
guenthegun
Grom

Share |

Re: Wich size for my first Skim

Postby Lonny » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey Gunnar,

Welcome to Lose the Straps. Thank you for joining us here. We try to keep a positive vibe flowing here. Most of the people here share their passion and love for strapless riding without BS. As you know there are plenty of other forums for that. :wink:

Now, as far as your board question goes. Its amazing how many people come on here from Europe, and tell me they cannot find a good selection of skims there. Somebody will eventually figure out that there is a growing market, and it will get better. In the meantime, I looked at your link, and here are my thoughts. Since you weigh 70kg you are pretty light, and can definitely get away with the smaller "L" version you listed. 124 x 52 is a bit smaller than I normally recommend for people's first skim, but I think with your weight you should be ok. However, keep in mind there is a lot more to a good board than just the dimensions posted, and without seeing the rail shape, rocker, and bottom shape I cannot say that for certain. That being said, you mentioned that you want to skim in "light to middle winds". Can you be more specific? For example, if you are talking about 10 - 20 knots, and more towards the 10 knot side then I would lean towards the "XL" size for a bit more surface area/volume to get going. Plus, at your weight that board should go in very light wind conditions. Now, if you mean light to middle winds as 15 - 30 knots than I would probably go with the "L" version because you should always be powered on a good kite in those conditions at your weight.

Hope that helps a bit! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Welcome to strapless riding... there is a lot of fun ahead for you... I promise! 8)
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby guenthegun » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:52 pm

Hey Lonny,
what is high wind for you???
And with wich Kite do you go out there. For me on a Bandit 9sqm 30 knots are high wind... so you're first guess was right. I am talking about the 12 to 20 knots. But I am not looking for a super light wind board.
I think I will try the XL so maybe I can go as slow as the waves here :D
But in wich way the width will affect the ride? As I understand I can stay as off center as i want without straps, so I think the width doesn't mean anything for the highend.

I also found a Victoria Foamy in L, wich was mentioned here in the forum i think, but this also has a length of only 125cm.
guenthegun
Grom

Share |

Postby Yann » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:17 am

Gunnar,

I have seen the Bugz in person and I didn't like the look of it. They have them in my local store. There was something about the outline, rocker and the lack of a pintail that I didn't like. Go for a Zap from http://www.sandskater.co.uk like this one in size medium or this one in large

I'm not in any way affiliated with Sandskater. I just think you will have more fun with a shape like the Zap. A pintail is great for kitesurfing and helps stabilize riding on the edge without fins.
- sorry it's in swedish but pictures are international ;-)
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:33 pm

guenthegun wrote:Hey Lonny,
what is high wind for you???
And with wich Kite do you go out there. For me on a Bandit 9sqm 30 knots are high wind... so you're first guess was right. I am talking about the 12 to 20 knots. But I am not looking for a super light wind board.
I think I will try the XL so maybe I can go as slow as the waves here :D
But in wich way the width will affect the ride? As I understand I can stay as off center as i want without straps, so I think the width doesn't mean anything for the highend.

I also found a Victoria Foamy in L, wich was mentioned here in the forum i think, but this also has a length of only 125cm.

LOL. Well the reason why I prefaced my comment about what people call high wind is definitely dependent on where you live and your prevailing conditions. For instance, in the Gorge or Maui, they do not consider it windy unless it is blowing 35-40 plus since many of there average ordinary days are 25 - 30. Of course where I live, in Miami, if it is 25-35 that is high wind! So, its just your point of reference, and since I was not familiar with your local conditions I needed to know your frame of reference.

Its unlikely you will still ride your Bandit 9 in a real 30 knots on your skimboard. You might be able to hold it down, but it would not be much fun. In that wind I would ride an 8 max or preferably a 6 Switchblade. Generally, if you are powered and can unhook your kite comfortably then it will work very will for for strapless riding.

Since you are looking for the 12 to 20 knot range I would go for the "L" model at your weight. Although, if Yann has seen it and it does not look good then I retract my recommendation. Yann knows what a good skimboard looks like. It's like I said earlier you can only tell so much from just dimensions on a board. You need to see it.

The Victoria Foamy is a good board. You can make the 125cm work in 12, and will be powered for sure in 15. SDC has one and likes it very much. Also, as Yann said, if you can get your hands on a Zap Pro you will be in good shape.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby guenthegun » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:11 am

Thanks a lot.
Than the bugz board is not an option any more...
If I can go in 15 knots or a litte less than it's perfect.
I really believe that the Zap boards are good boards. But with shipping and maybe taxes the Victoria is about 100€ less.
But more importend is that i will get it before the next weekend :roll: !!!
guenthegun
Grom

Share |

Postby Yann » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:11 am

You say you come from Germany but where are you located? Germany as well as UK are members of EU so no additional taxes when shipping between them. Getting the board for the weekend is a little optimistic but by the first half of next week should work since they have the boards in stock that you see on the site.
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby guenthegun » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:14 am

Thanks Yann with the taxes you are right ... i forgot about these EU things.
I live in Hamburg and as i mentioned i found a local store where i can get a Victoria.
So its 179 Eur for the Victoria and about 269 Eur for the Zap Shipping included.

But i feel that you are very positive about Zap. So i will think about it again.
A friend of mine always says: "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap things." :wink:

For the next weekend i will build one by myself,because i found foam, epoxy and glass at my parents cellar ...
But nevertheless i will buy one professional skim cause i'm not a mastershaper. And i cannot judge my work if i don't know how it could feel...
guenthegun
Grom

Share |

Postby Yann » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:44 am

I just mentioned Zap because that is what they have in stock at the moment. There is a really good article at Skimcity where you can read about all the common boards and their construction. Read up and make your decision after. As Lonny said, Sundogchicky is riding a Victoria Foamie and he rocks!

http://www.skimcity.com/store/pages.php?pageid=4
http://www.skimcity.com/store/home.php?cat=3569
Yann
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy