Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

north skim fish

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

north skim fish

Postby mookie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:27 pm

hi everyone purchased north skimfish only used twice but came out of both sessions grinning from ear to ear. I was suprised how easy i got going but easier to fall off, just wondering i need advise on how to pop the board off the water is the board to heavy at 3kg and how much does a skimboard weigh should i take the fins off.
mookie
Grom

Share |

Re: north skim fish

Postby gle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:14 pm

I just got one as well. Will not be able to use it for about 6 weeks. The water is frozen here. To keep me going till then could you tell me more about how it rides. I did find it a little heavy but I have found I prefer that on strapless boards. I find them easier to keep on my feet. I do not do a lot of tricks. It looks like it will go upwind really well. The fins are very sharp. I will be sanding the edges to dull them a bit. Overall looks really nice, eye catching. In the shop everyone wanted to have a closer look at it. I plan to use it both with the fins and without depending what the conditions are like. Most of the time just the back fins for playing on swells.
gle
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby mookie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:25 pm

not really had much time riding strapless but board goes up wind so easy i was flying past people using 8m rebel in 25 knots with no problems.Board rides both ways with ease but riding backward i did find i got water spray in my face but that might be the way i rode. Out on board the weekend coudnt believe i was staying upwind in 8mph wind on a 16 m rebel and i loved it. I will let you know what its like in the surf this weekend cos i have only tried on choppy waters.
mookie
Grom

Share |

Postby gle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks Mookie. I will be interested in how in does in the surf.I will be trying it in the surf in March.
gle
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:17 am

Hey Mookie,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for joining us here.

Most stock skimboards weigh between 6 - 7lbs or around 3kg so your board is about normal, and should be fine to get you going. As far as pointers on doing an ollie I am glad to hear you are ready to push it already :evil: here are some tips that might help you:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=220&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p1517

Lots more fun to come! Keep us updated about how you are doing. Also, post a review of your skim after you have logged some good time on it here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby gle » Sun May 16, 2010 10:09 pm

I used the skim fish a few times now in light wind and chop and swell. I used it fins in and strapless. i really like the board. It goes up wind really well. I thought it went up wind even better backwards. I did not have have the problem with the water spraying me going backwards. It was really good for for playing on the small swells. I did not get to try it in any breaking waves so i cannot comment on that. I do think it is a lot of fun and I am really pleased with the board.
gle
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Haze » Mon May 17, 2010 5:22 pm

I have ride it some days now and i think i gone put smaller fins on it or take it away total. But it is a nice board and take really good high to the wind...
Haze
Grom

Share |

Postby stolitonic » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:27 pm

Im looking for strapless light wind options and thinking this would be a good option for me because of my weight. I rode the Nobile skimboard a couple of weeks ago and fell in love but that was in powered conditions dont think it would work that well in light wind for me. Now that this board has been out for awhile can we get some more feedback, thoughts of this board.
stolitonic
Grom

Share |

Postby steph » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:06 am

I have an old Nobile skimboard (don't remember the year but it's all white) and it's an excellent light wind board. I compared it back to back with a Spleene Monster Door (164x50) and it's pretty much the same thing. So, while I can't answer for the North Skim Fish, I can tell you that the Nobile is an excellent light wind board. I ride it without the fins though.
steph
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy