Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

I gotta ask...

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

I gotta ask...

Postby Dana » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:15 am

I've been surfing/windsurfing since the 1980's and kiting for three years which I really like. This year I am buying a skim board. Most of my kiting is at the north coast of Oregon and the Gorge. If I am on the ocean, I never wear a board leash, but a certian spot where I go has a small bay that empties into the ocean and if there is a strong outgoing tide, I'll use a board leash. I've had to litterly get out of the water and run along the bank chasing after my board without a leash and I don't feel like loosing a $500 board.

What's appealing about a skimboard is when the tide flushes out, the bay gets super smooth but I sometimes drag a fin which gets interesting. So my question without getting flamed is...do people attach a foot leash similiar to surfboards to skim boards?

I can body drag with a kite and I don't want to superglue a Go-Joe on a skim board.

Can I drill a hole and not compromise the board or glass a leash attachment?
Dana
Grom

Share |

Re: I gotta ask...

Postby sundogchicky » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:46 pm

im not sure if anyone gets flamed on here at LTS? well there was the one time when cynbad flamed me, but im recovering.
ive been thing the same thing as i cannot lose the skim if i was to ride the reef waves, as fire coral dancing doesnt sound like fun. not to mention the dammage to the reef.
So a simple hole? epoxy an attachment? Mini screws and epoxy an attachment? Epoxy Inserts hen bolt an attachment?
Suggestions? im sick of my skim giving me puppy dog eyes when i head out to the reef with my S quad.
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby gman » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:17 pm

Yo Dana (you've been killing it out there) and thanks for the magic carpet ride last year on the downwinders.

That spot and Netarts are tough on outgoing tides - but would think that all the holes and attachment points for a leash will catch your toes - cause more of pain then worth. Maybe a cheaper board (a Raush Rasta or Morphious from Pepi) and practice high speed body dragging and chasing that baby down with a friend watching on the full ebb tide.

those spots can get sketchy when you drop your kite in marginal wind and it begins to overtake you in the current - then you gotta think about getting wrapped in the lines or taking the sea anchor express out to sea

be safe
gman
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby patrickrynne » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:44 pm

the Roush Aloha Loaf, or the Roush Mega Loaf both come with leash plugs. I picked a new one up for $150 at a shop cause they couldn't sell it. Normally they are a good deal more, but if you looked, you might find a deal.

hope that helps

-patrick
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:47 am

Hey Dana,

Welcome to LTS. Some good questions you have there.

First and foremost, we do not tolerate flaming people for asking questions or dogging out noobs. LTS is not a forum for that. We are here to help people enjoy the stoke of riding strapless, and sharing our knowledge and passion in an open and friendly forum - not withstanding SDC's friendly poke from Cynbad. :wink:

As far as your skim goes, you should be able to find a skim for much less than $500. I recommend you do find a used skim until you get some time on the water to see what you like. Keep in mind that you do not need to buy a kite brand specific skim - more often than not they are more expensive and not necessarily better. There are several boards out there from skim companies like ZAP, Victoria, Exile, DB, that work very well for kiting. For example the guys from DB sent me an inland skim made out of wood to ride a few months ago. It is a blast to ride with a kite and sells brand new for around $199!
DB_Skim_Top.jpg
DB Inland Woodie Skim Top
DB_Skim_Top.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 57807 times

DB_Skim_Bottom.jpg
DB Inland Woodie Skim LTS Bottom
DB_Skim_Bottom.jpg (63.91 KiB) Viewed 57808 times

There are a lot of great reviews also of skimboards here and should give you a good idea for what to look for:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157
If you have any specific questions feel free to post them here.

Lastly, as far as drilling holes in your board - each board is different and you need to check the construction. About 4 years ago Todd actually drilled 6 holes in his ZAP to test footstraps in his skim (he hates it when I tell this story), and the board is just fine to this day. I will have him weigh in to comment on what he did. You should also consider that adding a leash, while it will prevent you from losing your board, it will also prevent, or hinder you from do shuvits or multiple spins on your board. I think it is definitely a good idea for you to have a leash on if you are going to ride in dangerously fast currents, because you are going to lose your board until you get it dialed. Once you start to feel confident and comfortable with your kite skimming you can lose the leash. There are a ton of guys in the Gorge that rip out there, and you can look to them to give you some good feedback as well.

There is a lot of fun ahead. Let us know how we can help you further, and feel free to bounce any questions you have without any fear of being flamed or belittled.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Dana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:06 am

Thanks for all the advice. I am definately going to pick up a board the next couple of weeks and can't wait to get on the water. Just want to do a bit more research.

When I first started kiting, I could never understand why anyone would want to ride anything but a twin-tip but this skimmy thing is growing on me. When I think about it, there lots of opportunity to use one around here.
Dana
Grom

Share |

Postby Todd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:19 pm

I have drilled a few holes through my first skim from Phase Five. I regret it. I would consider to put an insert in the board if anything since that way the foam isn't exposed to water. There are some here: http://www.fiberglasssupply.com/Product ... ilcom.html
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby Rolavi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:49 pm

Rolavi
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Dana » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks, the attachment sounds like a solution.
Dana
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:53 pm

Hi Dana, as being said by others... you can mount anything on any board, but the "how" depends on the board construction. Stick-on attachment, like NSI and others make them, would be my suggestion as well if you don't know how the board is built and if you're not into finding out the hard way :D
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby sundogchicky » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 pm

do you think those stick on things can be used to mount straps?
sundogchicky
Indy Grab

Share |

Postby mookie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:26 am

mounting staps r u on the same site as me LOOSE THE STRAPS lol :D
mookie
Grom

Share |

Postby sick nick » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:06 am

Here are some pics of a leash loop I added on to a homemade surfboard...no drilling required! All you need to do is cut out a half circle of whatever wood you have, then glass that baby on. If you mess up, at least you won't have any holes in your board :D This leash loop has withstood some serious beatings.

sick nick
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby coloradokiter » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 am

The NSI attachments use the same glue as they use on their strap pads with iserts. those are a real bi#$% to get off. Super strong. Put one right behind your tail block and you are good to go with attaching a leash. I use them on my SUP too.

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/v ... roduct=249
coloradokiter
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy