Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

First skim board purchase for kiting

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

First skim board purchase for kiting

Postby Dana » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:55 am

Introduced myself on the previous post. Was wondering if board volume makes any difference when learning or does learning on a woodie provide the same foundation for learning? Trying to decide if I should buy a poly board or ???

I'm sure I will wind up with more than one eventually, but want to start out with a good board.

The image of the DB Inland that Lonny posted on the previous post looks appealing but I don't know squat about skimboards. Learning will take place on relatively flat water on bay and inside surf breaks.

Thanks
Dana
Grom

Share |

Re: First skim board purchase for kiting

Postby Lonny » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi Dana,

Go with an epoxy board to start with. The DB board I posted is a very cool board, but I would not recommend it as a starter skim for kiting. After testing dozens of skims I can tell you that for most uses you should find one with these approximate dimensions:

50" - 54" in length and 19.5" - 21" in width.

I have also found that the more traditional outlines with the wide point further back, not an egg shape work better. Start with a board around the dimensions I gave you will be fine. Volume does not matter as much as you might think, and width actually plays a much larger role in how the board will perform. Most skims around the size I listed will be about 3/4" thick throughout the majority of the board. If you want me to get more techie we can talk about rockers too. :)

Also, unless you really like wax, I would recommend at least a tail kick-pad. Like I said before, check out used surf shops and I bet you will find a nice used skim for around $200 from Victoria or ZAP and you will be good to go. If you can't find anything or are having a hard time shoot me an email and I will help you find something.

Let me know how else I can help you.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Dana » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:07 am

Thanks Lonny for the advice.

I think I've narrowed the selection down to the Victoria Ultra or the Surftech Morphius.

Any opionon?

I don't want fins and want something that performs well on flat water. Not having much luck finding something used but new prices don't seem out of line. A little surprised how expensive some of skims can be especially with fins but then again twin tips run $600+ and directionals even more.

Thanks.
Dana
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:39 pm

Yeah, the Kite specific skims especially by kite companies are definitely more expensive. I am not sure what you are paying for your skim, but you should be able to find one new from Victoria for around $300 - $375. I know the ZAPs sell for $299 to $379 for most of their boards with pads. You definitely should not need to spend anywhere near $600. Again, if you need, I can put in a call and get you hooked up. Just let me know.

As far as which board, I have not ridden either of the boards you mentioned, but I do know that some people have the Morphius, and like it a lot. There is also a review of it here:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157#p1378

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Dana » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks Lonny. I'll probably pick up a Morphias since a local shop sells them.

I'll post some pics later. They will have to be still pictures so as not to show my lack of talent in riding one of these things. :)
Dana
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:37 pm

No problem at all. Sounds good! Enjoy it.

Talent is irrelevant... Fun is what it is about, and if you have fun that is all that matters. 8) I can assure you that you will be smiling from ear to ear very soon.

Like LTS on Facebook

Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy