Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

strapless surfboard beginer

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

strapless surfboard beginer

Postby elijaramon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:09 am

Hi all you people at this magnificent cite.

I need to ask a few questions regarding strapless kitesurfing.

First, I am 1.84m (6 foot 1 inch) tall and weigh 82 kg. I own a Waves board that is 1.63 m long. The board is with straps. I can ride the board as it is but am not too confident yet. However, I want to start a process whereby I'll eventually loose the straps, I think that since I like riding a surfboard I might as well learn properly from the beginning and I have the idea that strapless is properly. Is this the right board to do this with?

If not what size of board do I need?

If Yes I was thinking first to try removing the rear strap first (the one near the tail) and try that for a while before I remove the front strap as well. In the meantime I bought myself a leach as I think it would be helpful. Is this the right way to go about it?

thanks for any advise

elijaramon
elijaramon
Grom

Share |

Re: strapless surfboard beginer

Postby mike dubs » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:49 pm

hi Elija,

I went through the same process about 4 months ago, but got rid of the front strap too after 2 sessions. Just put good wax on, it helps if your kite has good depower to help you control your stance as well. You will find waterstarting a bit harder for the first session, but again this goes. You will find it much better to gybe strapless and I amaze myself how much i move my fet now on the board to get the best stance, particularly if it's gusty.

Take the strap off and leave them at home next time you go, so you are committed, that's what I did leaving my TT at home and haven't looked back since.

regards

mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby elijaramon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Mike,

thank you very much for your advice.

Regarding the wax, my surfboard, if I take the straps off, will still have some padding left around where both the front and back straps were and I think that that is glued on the board. Should I remove the padding and apply wax?

What do you think about the surfboard's size in connection to my height and weight, will I be ok strapless on such surfboard or do I perhaps need a bigger one?

Elija
elijaramon
Grom

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:29 am

Some of the other guys will have some thoughts, but, it's hard to say without seeing the board, some people like pads., some prefer wax, so guessing you could wax round the pads, or remove the front one and wax there, but difficult to say without knowing what pad/strap combo you have. As regards size again depends on what conditions you ride in, but a bigger board would make going strapless easier to start with.

You should look at a board around your height for strapless to sart with i would suggest, but, the other guys on the site could comment probably better than I, I've only been a strapless disciple for 6 months.

Cheers

mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby elijaramon » Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:52 am

Mike,

thanks again for the advice. I think you are right I need a bigger board, that was also my gut feeling but until I get one I think I'll battle it out starting with flat water first.

regarding the pads I think I'll leave them as they are and wax around them since they are glued on.

Once again thanks for your advice. I'll let you know how I manage perhaps wind allowing it could be this weekend coming up.

By the way, under what kind of conditions do you usually surf and what gear do you use? I have a hawaii wainman 'smoke' kite 9m2, a wainman blunt twin tip board and a custom made "Waves" surf board as described above. Am very pleased with the performance of the kite and especially its wind range, it is as if I have an 8m2 (if I shorten the lines even smaller) and an 11m2, its very durable and with its variety of settings allows you to rig it with ease and precission for any conditions. The twin tip is slightly big for me as it is 135 by 43 and am only 82 kgs and although this helps in light winds if overpowered its dificult to edge the board.

In the meantime if anyone else out there has been following the discussion and has any advice to offer as Mike also suggests, please do.

Elias
elijaramon
Grom

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:40 am

Elija,

I had Wainman 12, 9, 6,5 until yesterday, when I part ex'd for Cabrinha nomads 11,9,7. I too weigh 82/83kgs and used to ride the blunt 135 which I found great regardless of how powered.

I have been riding the Slingshot Celeritas 5'8'' for last 4/6 months solely, nearly always strapless, but put staps on is it's choppy or above head high waves(I'm still a grom when it comes to strapless).

Best advise i had was leave to T/tip behind and take the straps off your board and just commit to a new learning curve. I compare it to skiers learning to snowboard, the reason they don't learn is that they are unwilling to use their annual ski holiday to go back to being a beginner on a snowboard, they have a go for a day or two then give up and go back to skiing! leave youself no option and in a couple of sessions you'll be hooked.

regards

mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy