Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Beginner's question

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

Beginner's question

Postby constl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:27 am

Hello all,
My name is Dean and I live in Athens, Greece. Just got recently involved in surfing and skim-boarding but since we don't have consistent waves here I was looking into kite-skimming for some additional fun. My question revolves around the type of equipment that i can use. e.g. is it worth to get a 3.0 or 3.5 water re-launchable kite (e.g. HQ Hydra) for starters? Will i get a nice pull with a skimboard with that kite at 2 beaufort (4-7 mph) ++ ? I weight 75 kgs (165 pounds). Is this trainer kite worth the investment or should i get a relative cheap 5m LE kite for some fun? My number one factor is money so I really don't want to spend a lot at the beginning without knowing whether I can enjoy it. Also, If i get more into kitesurfing will I be able to use my 6.4'' Flyer Al Merrick surfboard in strapless mode with a proper LE kite?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Dean
constl
Grom

Share |

Re: Beginner's question

Postby Lonny » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:53 am

Hey Dean,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for posting your question.

My thought would be to definitely not buy a small trainer kite for use with a skimboard in 4-7 mph. No, it will definitely not pull you around in that wind. Unless you actually want to use the trainer kite for other uses it would not be a good investment especially with your limited budget right now. First, I need to ask the obvious question, have you taken a lesson yet? Hopefully your answer is yes, then I would advise you buy a used kite from a good brand. If you are going with a bow kite somewhere between 11 and 13 meter would be ideal. With a C style kite you will need a 14 or so. I am also pretty much the same weight as you, 160lbs, and with a 12 meter Cabrinha Switchblade I can start having fun in 9-10 mph on my skimmy. If the wind is 4-7mph my advice would be to go do something else. :)

As far as your surfboard is concerned, a 6' 4" Flyer Al Merrick, would work, although its a bit large and narrow for my tastes, and will feel pretty bouncy. However, it will get you going to the point where you can choose to get another board down the road.

Hope that helps, and please post any other questions you may have.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy