Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

cabal vs Nobile?

This is the place to talk about riding styles, tricks, conditions, what works, what doesn't on your skimboard. Wondering about what skimboard to get for kiting? Post it all here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd

cabal vs Nobile?

Postby biggins » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:58 am

Hi,

I currently ride the cabal skims, but was wondering how much better low end the Nobile would give? It seems a bit wider in the front and tail, wondering if anyone could give any comparisons of the two?

thanks...great site,

j
biggins
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: cabal vs Nobile?

Postby Lonny » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:43 am

Hey J,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for the kind words!

I have ridden both boards and think that you would potentially be happy with either board. However, I do not really classify the Nobile as a skimboard, but more as a strapless modified twin tip. The Cabal is much more of a true skimboard design. That is not to say that the Nobile is not a good board because I believe it is, just different feeling. There is not doubt that it is easier for the everyday twin tip rider to jump on the Nobile and initially feel less uncomfortable.

Can you tell me what you weigh and what type of conditions you want to ride? In other words, when you talk about low end, what size and style of kite and the wind range? Also, there are some other great skimmys that work very nicely that are not from kite specific companies and cost considerably less than the Nobile. Also do you like a looser feeling board or a bit more bite?

Just to give you an idea, I weigh 160 lbs. and spend a lot of time riding in 10 - 15 mph with a 12 meter Switchblade and a Phase5 Prop. The Phase5 board is designed to be a wake skimmer but works extremely well with a kite. I can ride in 10-15 fully powered with a 12 meter, and if the wind nears 15mph I can easily ride a 10! The dimensions on my board are 54" x 20.5". I have used it up to 35 mph in Maui or 10 mph in Miami. So it has very good range.

You might want to review the video I did for LTS. That was shot in 12-20mph on the Phase5 with a 9 meter Crossbow 3. Check that here:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=63

Also all of these trick sequences and shots were taken in 10-15mph with a 12 meter:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=64
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=89
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=90
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=55

Let me know what other questions you have and I will be glad to help you out. Also I will be posting the new toy Todd and I got at Surf Expo that looks pretty sweet.

Also, btw how did you hear about LTS?
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby biggins » Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:36 am

Hey Lonny,

Thanks for the reply. I currently ride the cabals. I know what range I get with them, but was wondering if the low end was better on the shinny skim? I'm assuming it is. I don't get the low end you do at 190-200lbs. :( But on a REV 11m can go easily from 14knots or so...haven't really tried lower, but my old Rebel 14m was good from 11knots. My weight makes a big difference as does the hot humid air I think? I'll give the 11m a try in lower winds this weekend and see what happens, that thing is fast so maybe I can whip it around.

I think I'll stick to the cabals this year, but always checking out what else is out there.

thnks,

j
biggins
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby pebbles » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:30 am

Hey! Check my skim w/ fins test in the build it section. I weigh 210 and had the Cabal and a Crazyfly skim and this board rocks for bigger guys. Extra volume helps alot and fins are optional.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=91

later
pebbles
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:51 am

Great feedback there Pebbles! Plus, your board looks wicked cool. 8) I dropped the link in there for ya...
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby biggins » Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:23 pm

Nice board!

It looks like the mega loaf is not any bigger than the cabal...not sure on dimensions, but it's 2" thick...how much more low end are you getting compared to the cabals? I think my roush is 53" x 20.5" or something similar. It has good low end, but I could always use more. lol. I find overpowered is never much of an issue as I can always move my feet, and let's face it, at over 200 lbs, it's rare that I get overpowered. But in the under 12knot stuff, I struggle.

thanks,

j
biggins
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby pebbles » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:53 pm

I have been on the skimmer in 8- 10 mph with a slight opposing current w/ waves flying a 13m EZE. I could just stay upwind and was really focusing on board speed. In a steady 12 I'm fine, 12+ and I'm juiced. It took awhile to get dialed, but once I figured out where to put my feet I really liked way it rode. The extra volume makes it ALOT easier in the lulls. My Cabal was my first skimmer and was good in flat water, but lacked in the waves. As for which has more lowend, I think the Megaloaf is better, but you'll probably only get 1-3 mph, if that. I just wanted something better for my weight and the waves.

Oh yeah, the fin boxes don't hurt you when on wet sand.

later

pebbles
pebbles
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Ripping on your Skimmy