Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

how good is the s quad 5'7 09 Jon ????

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

how good is the s quad 5'7 09 Jon ????

Postby surfsky » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:40 am

hey jon and all
what do you think of the 5'7 s quad for a strappless allround wave board(only want 1 board for everything)....i weigh 150 or 70kg... kitesurf a combo of onshore and side off shore wave which are small to medium with occasional big surf thrown in...are there better boards for my weight and conditions i can go custom.....i ride a thin 6' that i surfed but want something specially for use with my kite....im an experienced surfer and ride fishes alot now....what do you recommend.... i had a go of a mates freestyle fish and found it spun out on hard bottom turns and didnt like it much...no shops here to demo only got custom makers or online... saw you thread on good boards but dont have access to these boards
cheers tj
ps everyone feel free to give join the discussion
Last edited by surfsky on Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
surfsky
Grom

Share |

Re: how good is the s quad 5'7 09 Jon ????

Postby Lonny » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:58 am

Hey TJ,

Welcome to LTS! Thank you for joining us here and posting your question.

I spent all of last season riding just the Cabrinha 5' 7" S-Quad and my skims. I weigh 160. The second I jumped on that board it was like magic for me. All we get here is on-shore to side-shore small to the occasional overhead waves, and the 5' 7" really works nicely in those conditions. The S-Quad is pretty quick board, and does not feel draggy at all. It does not have a super loose feel though, and if you like having a board that tracks up and down a face it is spot on for that. Its especially nice for the non-ideal real world waves/conditions that most of us get. I would find it very unlikely that it would break loose on you on bottom turns. I am a heavy back foot surfer, and I cannot recall that board ever breaking loose on me unintentionally. :wink: The weight of the 5' 7" is good, but I would not call it light. I recently rode Jon's custom and it was probably at least a 3/4 pound or more lighter. However, when you go custom you are paying for a board built exactly for you, and the weight should always be better than a production board. Production boards are generally made to fit a wide range of riders and styles - plus they are usually made to be more durable for warranty issues. My only complaint on the 5' 7" would be that the fins could be better, and they should be changed out pretty soon after getting the board.

As far as going custom vs. the 5' 7" S-Quad that depends on how long you are willing to wait, and cost. When I rode Jon's board it was a sick board, but I did not get to ride it in any waves that day. Just chop and flat water. However, I know that if Jon tells me a board is good - it is. The guy knows surfboards inside and out, and he does not hold back on his opinions.

I am sure Jon will chime in and give you his feedback.

surfsky wrote:saw you thread on good boards but dont have access to

Were you not able to view a thread on LTS? Please let me know. That should not be the case. Anyone can read any posts on the board, but you have to be a member to write and reply to topics. Also how did you hear about us?

Thanks again for joining.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Todd » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:04 pm

I think the 5'7" is a board that can ride in a variety of conditions. For me, it provides the right balance of airs/trickery to surfing. I disagree with Lonny on the fins though. The fins are small and stiff. They provide a lot of lift for less drag = fast. You can put any Futures quad fin systems in the board, but you will likely feel a bit slower while gaining better rail to rail speed. This board works great on the face to link up crappy on shore breaks. Just give a couple pumps after a section closes out and you're off to link up with the next section... Jumping is sick because it's got enough width for great pop, but not so much that the board won't sit on a rail and carve. I am a front foot guy on the bottom turns and I couldn't be happier. I can do most of my skim tricks on the Squad, so it works for freestyle too. If I had to compare to some of the JL thrusters that people rave about, I would say the Squad kills them in speed, and the JL's feel very corky to me. The Squad feels super direct and respond instantly to input and I feel closer to the water. I have loaned the board to countless people and have not heard any negative comments. My ultimate two board production quiver right now is the SQuad 5'7" and the Placebo surfskate 4'10" (for really light conditions with more of a focus on strapless freestyle in the light stuff).
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby surfsky » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:27 pm

cheers guys for the detailed responses..... lonny the web site is fine ..i just dont have access to buying those boards as i live in an isolated place.... if i go a custom they are about half the price of a production board... also what glass job do you get...i was thinking 6 and 4 on top and 6 on the bottom
one more question can you ride the s quads on waves unpowered by the kite(fully depowered kite).... i normally ride 6'1 x18 1/4 x 2 1/4 for paddle surfing or a 6'1 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8 much more on smaller days but dont need it that long when using a kite...for custom what do you guys think is best size wise
cheers tj
what a top site!
surfsky
Grom

Share |

Postby JonModica » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:28 pm

surfsky wrote:cheers guys for the detailed responses..... lonny the web site is fine ..i just dont have access to buying those boards as i live in an isolated place.... if i go a custom they are about half the price of a production board... also what glass job do you get...i was thinking 6 and 4 on top and 6 on the bottom
one more question can you ride the s quads on waves unpowered by the kite(fully depowered kite).... i normally ride 6'1 x18 1/4 x 2 1/4 for paddle surfing or a 6'1 x 20 1/2 x 2 5/8 much more on smaller days but dont need it that long when using a kite...for custom what do you guys think is best size wise
cheers tj
what a top site!

Hey TJ

The 5'7 is actually a really good all around board. Here is my take.

I keep two fins set ups for mine. I have the standard, which i use for when its windy, and then i have a future set with alot of foil, and i put that with
a really small rear set.
This setup works super good for those lighter days and give the board a more fishy feel. So i think that will work well for you.

The 5'7 is very similar to my 5'6 that you see me riding all the time. The main difference in the two boards is the rocker, which i have been actually liking the
5'7 rocker a bit better.

Sorry if this doesnt answer your question well, im better if you have anything really specific!!!
So feel free to ask away!!!

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby surfsky » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:52 pm

THANKS JON wHAT ABOUT THE LOOSENESS COMPARED TO A FISH....I LIKE EM LOOSE.... CAN YOU USE THE 5'7 ON THE WAVE WITH NO KITE PULL
surfsky
Grom

Share |

Postby JonModica » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:16 am

surfsky wrote:THANKS JON wHAT ABOUT THE LOOSENESS COMPARED TO A FISH....I LIKE EM LOOSE.... CAN YOU USE THE 5'7 ON THE WAVE WITH NO KITE PULL

A fish has much more nose volume, so once you get on it, it can ride a wave with little to none kitepower. Downside is if the wave is steep, you pearl.
The 5'7 does require a slight bit more, but you gain so much that its worthwhile.

I recommend it as an ALL AROUND good board. I would say for really lighter winds you could go to something like our new Skillet!!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Craig » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:42 pm

Hello " lose the straps" crew

I have enjoyed following your discussions concerning the Cabrinha Squad. Thank you all for giving your unbiased experiences and views.

Could you suggest a board length based on my personal riding info. I have been given so much conflicting information from several kite board sales agents. I am in a remote area of Canada without access to demo product. I order on-line, thus I need to buy first then try. I ride Cabrinha 8M & 12M kites and a north x-ride TT.

Weight: 79 kg ( 174 lbs)
Low Intermediate rider: no surfing or directional kitesurfing experience.
Most common conditions: on-shore wind swell. and occasional ground swell ( wind usually 15-25 knots)
Interests: want to learn directional kitesurfing and progress into strapless riding. Have ordered a phase 5 prop board based on other discussions on " lose the straps"

Store managers have suggested 6' 1'' but I see most of you advances-pro riders on 5' 7'' or 5 9''. Do I buy large first with gain skill then find myself looking to go smaller or will the 6' 1'' board be the one? Which one can I best progress into without needing to buy another board in 6 - 10 months. Keep in mind I do want to ride strapless once I have a skill set.

Thanks Craig
Craig
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:34 pm

Hey Craig,

Welcome to Lose the Straps! Thanks for joining us here, and posting your question. Great choice on the Phase5. I know from over 4 years of riding on them you will be quite happy with that board.

Your conditions sound very similar to ours, when its windy that is. :roll: At your weight, and conditions you mentioned I would advise you to go with the 5' 7". People tend to get hung up on the length of the board, but really it's the volume and width that play a larger roll in how a surfboard feels. I do not think you will have a tougher time learning on a 5' 7" vs. a 6' 1". Sometimes you have to remember that sales agents that work for a shop are just that. Many of them have never even ridden surfboard, let alone strapless. So I would temper their comments unless you have seen them ride or ridden with them, and can testify to their knowledge or skill. The only disclaimer I offer is that I am sponsored by Cabrinha. I am certainly not saying that there aren't other boards out there that are just as good or better than the S-Quad, but I can tell you from personal riding experience that the 5' 7" is an outstanding surfboard. I was pleased with it the first day I hit the water, and have recommended it several times to other riders who are very pleased as well. All I do is ride strapless on skims and surfboards... In fact, I finally gave back my last TT to the shop last season. :shock:

Let me know if there are any other questions you have or help you need.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:31 pm

Craig wrote:Hello " lose the straps" crew

I have enjoyed following your discussions concerning the Cabrinha Squad. Thank you all for giving your unbiased experiences and views.

Could you suggest a board length based on my personal riding info. I have been given so much conflicting information from several kite board sales agents. I am in a remote area of Canada without access to demo product. I order on-line, thus I need to buy first then try. I ride Cabrinha 8M & 12M kites and a north x-ride TT.

Weight: 79 kg ( 174 lbs)
Low Intermediate rider: no surfing or directional kitesurfing experience.
Most common conditions: on-shore wind swell. and occasional ground swell ( wind usually 15-25 knots)
Interests: want to learn directional kitesurfing and progress into strapless riding. Have ordered a phase 5 prop board based on other discussions on " lose the straps"

Store managers have suggested 6' 1'' but I see most of you advances-pro riders on 5' 7'' or 5 9''. Do I buy large first with gain skill then find myself looking to go smaller or will the 6' 1'' board be the one? Which one can I best progress into without needing to buy another board in 6 - 10 months. Keep in mind I do want to ride strapless once I have a skill set.

Thanks Craig

5'7 hands down!!!!

The longer boards really are only better for steeper waves.

If your gonna ride strapless, the added length is only going to be more swing weight......more swing weight= no bueno!!

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard