Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Some really nice strapless boards

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Re: Some really nice strapless boards

Postby strachman » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:53 pm

I love this forum. I usually lurk, but now I have a question about a board.

I have an oppurtunity to get an S core, the 6' or the chop top, I think it s 5' (something)", I did search on the forum regarding this board and found some stuff. But still left hanging with some questions.

What the concensus with this board, are people stoked? Too thick?

If the fins were to break, can they be replaced? I believe that Salomon put a hault on there surf line, so that would mean fin production would stop also.

Just any information regarding people's experiences would be awesome.

I understand that the construct of the board compliments the abuse kiteboarding with surfboards, that's what's got my attention.

Thanks for letting me post up ?'s, I love the stoke on this forum.
strachman
Grom

Share |

Postby patrickrynne » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:01 pm

I have not ridden the Solomon yet, but I hear it is pretty good. A kid up in delray just bought one from a local guy in florida for $299....and apparently he had another one to sell.

I picked it up...was a bit heavier than the placebo....but overall it seemed solid.

If you want first hand, and you live in SFL, I would just go to delray next time the breeze is up (a weekend would be best), and look for the kid who got it (he is tallish, frizzy longish hair), and ask him.

My rule of thumb is to never spend more than $200 on a board....so if that guy had it listed for $299...and it still hasn't sold. You might be able to get it down to $250...and it was brand new!

hope that helps

patrick
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 pm

Do you guys think I would gain a little on the low end at least 2 miles on
5'8" version of Dick van Straalen Fish (Aviso Lost RNF) about 5 lbs surfboard
compared to my Dereck custom 143 X 38 X 4 lbs :?:
http://www.avisosurf.com/lost5-8f.html
It is too expensive so I don't want to go wrong.

Bela (DrLW)
DrLightWind
Grom

Share |

Postby JonModica » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:51 pm

DrLightWind wrote:Do you guys think I would gain a little on the low end at least 2 miles on
5'8" version of Dick van Straalen Fish (Aviso Lost RNF) about 5 lbs surfboard
compared to my Dereck custom 143 X 38 X 4 lbs :?:
http://www.avisosurf.com/lost5-8f.html
It is too expensive so I don't want to go wrong.

Bela (DrLW)

Bela, that board is ALL wrong for you.
Yes it would help you get going, but if your willing to spend money, either go with a custom or something more like....http://www.avisosurf.com/Cole5-2BD3.html
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby patrickrynne » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm

That Aviso Cole 5 is pretty slick. I really like the shape, still formulating my plan for my first strapless custom board, but those channels look pretty appealing.

Bela, please please PLEASE don't shell out $1,400 for a board. It's ridiculous. Especially since you probably have some extremely capable local shapers in your area that could make you something epic for less than half the price.

Also, I am very skeptical about the hollow carbons. I know they are fine for surfing, but kiting is a different game. Imagine getting a $1,400 board and realizing 6 months in that your slowly putting your foot through it. Ouch. Also have you ever kited on a really really light board....it feels totally different (in my opinion) than a normal surfboard. I think a little extra weight in the surf can really "smoooooth" the ride out....

Also, if somebody had a gun to my head and was forcing me to spend $1,400...i would rather buy a siiiiick custom for $600 and then fly ole Modica up to my home beach and pay him $800 to give me some pointers. Just saying, the money could be better spent to progress your skills.

patrick
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby JonModica » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:54 pm

patrickrynne wrote:That Aviso Cole 5 is pretty slick. I really like the shape, still formulating my plan for my first strapless custom board, but those channels look pretty appealing.

Bela, please please PLEASE don't shell out $1,400 for a board. It's ridiculous. Especially since you probably have some extremely capable local shapers in your area that could make you something epic for less than half the price.

Also, I am very skeptical about the hollow carbons. I know they are fine for surfing, but kiting is a different game. Imagine getting a $1,400 board and realizing 6 months in that your slowly putting your foot through it. Ouch. Also have you ever kited on a really really light board....it feels totally different (in my opinion) than a normal surfboard. I think a little extra weight in the surf can really "smoooooth" the ride out....

Also, if somebody had a gun to my head and was forcing me to spend $1,400...i would rather buy a siiiiick custom for $600 and then fly ole Modica up to my home beach and pay him $800 to give me some pointers. Just saying, the money could be better spent to progress your skills.

patrick

I agree with Patrick.
I can recommend two REALLY GOOD SHAPERS! that work with me all the time.
-jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:50 am

Hey Jon, the Cole 5 looks too cool... I will build one in wood. Have to. No 2 ways about that.

A question for you: I had a look at the Cole 5.0 vs. the Cole 5.2 - my weight is 85kg, and I find the measurements of the Cole 5.2 a bit exaggerated. What would you recommend? Would the 5.0 be ok for me for lightish smallish stuff? Would I be able to control a board as wide as the 5.2? Your gut feeling about it is good enough for me, if you haven't tried both.

5.2: length: 5'2" = 157,5cm
Tail width: 17.375" = 44,1cm
Center width: 21.625" = 54,9cm
Nose width: 19.0" = 48,2cm
Thickness: 3.125" = 7,9cm

5.0: length: 5'0" = 152,4cm
Tail width: 16.1" = 40,9cm
Center width: 20.125" = 51,1cm
Nose width: 17.0" = 43,2cm
Thickness: 2.5" = 6,4cm

Thanks mate!

tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby sepkb » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:21 am

Hey guys,

I heard about this site in SBC Kiteboard magazine like Bryan has, and I also ride in Sauble Beach (Lake Huron) and was looking to find a good strapless board for our mushy waves and light wind days. I've fooled around on a skimboard before and I want to just get on a surfboard and learn to ride strapless that way, so that I can have a light wind board as well. I've never even paddled out on a surfboard, but I'd still like a strapless board to learn to surf, and if it's good for paddling too then that would be good as well.

I have no idea where to start, and I don't know the first thing about surfboards besides the fact that a quad fin setup is looser, and a thruster fin setup is good for power and drive. I am 5'10" and I weigh 170 lbs, and although I haven't grown in a while but I'm still 17 and I COULD get bigger. Are there any boards in specific that you could recommend? Stores here sell Naish, JL, North, Liquid Force, and I think they sell Lost as well (they have one on display so maybe they could ship something in), but I could probably find more brands they could ship in. Also, which dimensions would be good for my size (length, width, thickness) apart from specific board recommendations?

Thanks,

Sep

P.S. I think this is an awesome forum, and it's great to see that there is a pro rider here who's communicating with normal riders like myself. Great job Jon, and thanks again everyone. :D
sepkb
Grom

Share |

Postby DrLightWind » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:50 pm

Thank you guys for the advise.
@ Jon I like your idea that's awsome. 8)
Do you think that kind of board could be made light or lighter than the Cole 5-2 BD3,
with similar channels in mind by our custom board builder :?:
Appears to be the 3 1/8" thickness could be a winner for light winds.
I used to have a windsurf board (Spoon) similar the to those channels
and I liked it for light winds speed and pointing up wind.

Also what do you guys think abbout this French light wind directional idea :?:

Bela (DrLW)
Attachments
RAIL FIN railfin3.jpg
RAIL FIN railfin3.jpg (8.14 KiB) Viewed 91996 times
DrLightWind
Grom

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:13 pm

DrLightWind wrote:Thank you guys for the advise.
@ Jon I like your idea that's awsome. 8)
Do you think that kind of board could be made light or lighter than the Cole 5-2 BD3,
with similar channels in mind by our custom board builder :?:
Appears to be the 3 1/8" thickness could be a winner for light winds.
I used to have a windsurf board (Spoon) similar the to those channels
and I liked it for light winds speed and pointing up wind.

Also what do you guys think abbout this French light wind directional idea :?:

Bela (DrLW)

Hey Bela,
That boards looks like alot of drag to me!

I think a good shaper good make as good of channels for you. But i don't believe ANYONE can make a lighter board then that. I just don't
feel its that possible without going to a different construction (one that requires mucho dinero!)

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:16 pm

tungsten wrote:Hey Jon, the Cole 5 looks too cool... I will build one in wood. Have to. No 2 ways about that.

A question for you: I had a look at the Cole 5.0 vs. the Cole 5.2 - my weight is 85kg, and I find the measurements of the Cole 5.2 a bit exaggerated. What would you recommend? Would the 5.0 be ok for me for lightish smallish stuff? Would I be able to control a board as wide as the 5.2? Your gut feeling about it is good enough for me, if you haven't tried both.

5.2: length: 5'2" = 157,5cm
Tail width: 17.375" = 44,1cm
Center width: 21.625" = 54,9cm
Nose width: 19.0" = 48,2cm
Thickness: 3.125" = 7,9cm

5.0: length: 5'0" = 152,4cm
Tail width: 16.1" = 40,9cm
Center width: 20.125" = 51,1cm
Nose width: 17.0" = 43,2cm
Thickness: 2.5" = 6,4cm

Thanks mate!

tungsten

I think you could go either way. It only depends on what you want the board for. If you want it for kinda a all around fun board that works well in light wind, go with the 5'0
if you want the lightwind MACHINE but dont care to ride it past 16 knots i would go for the 5'2

To be honest i think the channels on the 5'0 are much nicer. but i like how the 5'2 has more fin set up options!

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:34 am

Great! I'm going 5.0 then. The 5.2 is a bitch to build in wood anyways, two channels are challenging enough without any plans of the board, but 4 :shock:
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:08 am

tungsten wrote:Great! I'm going 5.0 then. The 5.2 is a bitch to build in wood anyways, two channels are challenging enough without any plans of the board, but 4 :shock:

Nice. I can't wait to see the shots of that board.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby strachman » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm kind of back tracking, my previous post. Under much investigation and much help from this site I picked up the 5' 3" S core, surf.

So far I'm so stoked on it! With a lot of walking around on it, it can be a light wind machine. But one can easily dump speed on it, if countered with gusts.

I 've been able to pop a little.

I've been riding with just wax alone, and I plan to get a large deck pad.

Also I am looking forward to a Coast Session on it, I will find true shredability then.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm the kook giving the big V behind Chanson's big air on the ticker at the top!!
strachman
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:33 pm

strachman wrote:I'm kind of back tracking, my previous post. Under much investigation and much help from this site I picked up the 5' 3" S core, surf.

So far I'm so stoked on it! With a lot of walking around on it, it can be a light wind machine. But one can easily dump speed on it, if countered with gusts.

I 've been able to pop a little.

I've been riding with just wax alone, and I plan to get a large deck pad.

Also I am looking forward to a Coast Session on it, I will find true shredability then.

Thanks for all of the help. I'm the kook giving the big V behind Chanson's big air on the ticker at the top!!

That is awesome! I am stoked that LTS helped you make your decision, and what we are all about here. Can't wait to hear about your coast sessions. BTW - I love that shot. Always puts a smile on my face! :lol:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

PreviousNext

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard