Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Technique tips for a newbie

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Technique tips for a newbie

Postby Burgie » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:30 pm

I have been out riding a few times strapless now. My riding is progressing, however when I do go down in deep water, I have real trouble getting back on the board in water that is more than about waist deep. When I start, I have to just put the board in knee deep water, swing the kite across the window and jump on the board. I can't do that if I am offshore. I live in Jax Bch, FL and when the nor'easters rip through here, so does the current and the board is all over the place before I can swing the kite across the window.

Has anyone else had this problem, perhaps when they were just starting to "lose the straps?" Any technique tips such as should my heels be in the middle of the board, or does one foot need to be on the rail or something? Do you hold the board stead with one hand and swing the kite across the window with the other Please help, I'm taking a pounding just to get up and riding. But when I do, it is pure joy!
Burgie
Grom

Share |

Re: Technique tips for a newbie

Postby 57palm » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:44 am

I do not exactly understand why you are having such problems. Indeed a strapless board can take some getting used to but you need not treat it too much differently than one with straps for water starts. I assume you ride strapped boards and do water starts in deeper water without problems. Simply place your kite overhead at 12:00, position your feet where you want them on the board with your heels resting on it and holding it in place, stroke your kite and up you go. Once up there is actually a lot of pressure on your feet so usually moving them is more of a challenge than having them slip off. If you are talking about a finless skim things can be a little more challenging as the board can be very slippery until you get used to it. In the case of a skim try to position you heels very close to the edge of the board so you can hold the edge in under power. It can be tough for a while particularly in rougher waters or waves. When you get better you can actually time your water starts to fit between waves, chop or swell so the board does not get washed off your feet. The key to those starts is to get good enough that you can do them quickly. It goes like this, kite at 12:00 holding board, wave rolls under you, board under feet, stroke kite and up before next wave hits. I found the biggest hurdle when learning to ride strapless is mental. It actually works much better than you would think and your feet naturally stay in place you just need the confidence to go for it. Stick with it it will come in time. One of the biggest bonuses of riding strapless is how confident it makes you at riding with straps it simply becomes a no brainer. There is one thing to watch though, if you have done mostly strapless riding and go back to straps be care boosting big airs for awhile as your timing can be a little off. (out of practice) ask me how I know, (ouch!)

Reuben
57palm
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby kiterMD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:25 am

(for rt foot forward)
-Kite at 1 or 2
-Grab the tail with your back hand
-Place your front foot
-Place your back foot (let go of board)
-Send the kite back to to 11 or 10 to tension lines and point board downwind
-Aggressive down stroke to get going
-If you're slogging, aggressive upstroke/downstroke again.

Hope that helps
kiterMD
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Burgie,

Welcome to LTS! Sorry to hear about your frustration, but Ruben and KiterMD gave you some great feedback, and I do not have much to add. At this point if you are confident in deep water with a strapped board then it is more of a mental hurdle because there really is not much difference in the water start. Its just a confidence in knowing that when you dive your kite you are not going to fly off your board. Often times in waves its easy to lose your board but with the power of your kite it is usually easy to find and maneuver to it. Give it a little time you will get it, and let if you have other questions.
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Burgie » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:09 pm

Thanks for all the quick feedback. Reuben you hit the nail on the head. The board gets washed away from under my feet from the current and white water while I'm looking up at the kite. I have no problem with the strapped board b/c my feet are strapped in and the board cannot be washed away. I'll just have to keep working on it. The stoke is def. worth all the poundings in the sand and whitewash though! Love this site by the way...
Burgie
Grom

Share |

Postby 57palm » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:01 am

The other thing you can do if it is just shore break is body drag out past it until you hit some smooth water. Otherwise sounds like a few more days on the water will do it. I am now so used to getting on the skim I routinely fall down and restart in messy nasty shore break. You just need to be quick and bang up you go.

Reuben
57palm
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Kaito » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:15 pm

You just need to be quick and bang up you go.

Yup - & with a just a bit more practice, it'll all become second nature.
Keep at it! :)
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby 57palm » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:18 am

Here is another tip. I did not really think of it until today's session, it was 28-35kts open ocean pretty gnarly Ocean Rodeo 8M and tons of power. Yeah the board did not want to stay under my feet at all due to big swells etc. What I found myself doing was to have the kite a little to the edge of the window, put the board under my feet and drop the kite a little. Kept me moving sideways slowly and kept pressure on my feet. Then to get up stroke the kite a little deeper and up you go.
57palm
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby doc1 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:05 pm

Today i decided to go strapless for the first time with my f one bamboo.So,i just followed your advices and there i was after a few tries,riding and having lots of fun!! :D :D WHAT A FEELING!
doc1
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:19 pm

doc1 wrote:Today i decided to go strapless for the first time with my f one bamboo.So,i just followed your advices and there i was after a few tries,riding and having lots of fun!! :D :D WHAT A FEELING!

Hey Doc,

Welcome to LTS! Thanks for sharing the stoke, and joining us here. There is lots more fun to come!
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby doc1 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:41 am

Thanks Lonny,i really need those advices, because you dont see many surfboards where i kite,and only very few people go strapless,as well.The majority uses TTs..
doc1
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard