Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

getting air?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

getting air?

Postby mike dubs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 am

Guys,

am progressing slowly after our worst for 30yr winter, am gybing and switching feet both tacks pretty well, have also managed a handful of tacks. working on jumping the board in waves(and not grabbing the board, as advised by Jon), however, really struggling to get anywhere with those flat water ollies/air, so any help/advise gratefully received.

Mike

P.S I did a post re kites a while ago, had 2009 Wainmans for nearly 2 yrs and wanted a change, tried 2010 wainmans, Nomads, Rebels and 2010 Evos, went for the 2010 Evo's which are super smooth, stable, constant power with good low and top end eventually for those who are interested.
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: getting air?

Postby Lonny » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:26 pm

Yo Mike,

Nice to hear you are progressing along, and sounds like you found a great quiver of kites! Nice work! Here are some previous posts on doing a flat water ollie vs. off a kicker. I think you will find it helpful. Let us know if I can help any further.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=436
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=220&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15#p1517
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby mattv » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:40 am

It is all about time spent on the water with a kite and a skim board. When I look back at what it felt like starting out on a skim board I can not believe how far I have come. At the same time I can not believe how far I have to go. This becomes very apparent whenever I watch a video of these young guys tearing it up.

I have also found that certain tricks work better in certain conditions. Some days I can do flat water ollies, other days I can only hit jumps with small waves for kickers, and other days grabbing the board is the way to go.

I have also found that the lower the wind the better it is to grab the board. In high winds, 20+ knots, the board will stick to your feet very easily. 30+ knots and you can throw big airs and the board will stay with you the whole time. Under 15-16 knots the board will tend to fall away as there is not enough wind to keep it in place so a board grab helps a lot.

The way I get a trick down it just to decide prior to the session what I am going to work on and I just keep doing that one trick over and over until I get it right.

Keep it up. And good luck.
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:00 am

Thanks Guys,

forgot to say I'm riding a surfboard not skim, but if I've got this right, flat water/useful chop, speed, kite lower rather than higher, carve a bit like a twin tip preparing to pop into wind, push down hard on the back foot to raise the nose whilst moving the kite up to get some lift and pull up on the front foot?

If I've missed some subtlety please correct me as I know it's the little bits that are the secret sauce to moves!

Cheers

Mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Lonny » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:25 pm

mike dubs wrote:forgot to say I'm riding a surfboard not skim,

I know you are using a surfboard, but these techniques will work for doing a flat water ollie on a skim, surfboard, wakeskate, etc. Its all good. :wink:
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:29 am

thanks Lonny,

Got, next week off, so fingers crossed will get a few days wind and will give it a go.

will report back!

cheers

Mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby boris » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:21 pm

mike dubs wrote:Guys,

am progressing slowly after our worst for 30yr winter, am gybing and switching feet both tacks pretty well, have also managed a handful of tacks. working on jumping the board in waves(and not grabbing the board, as advised by Jon), however, really struggling to get anywhere with those flat water ollies/air, so any help/advise gratefully received.

Mike

P.S I did a post re kites a while ago, had 2009 Wainmans for nearly 2 yrs and wanted a change, tried 2010 wainmans, Nomads, Rebels and 2010 Evos, went for the 2010 Evo's which are super smooth, stable, constant power with good low and top end eventually for those who are interested.

Hi Mike.
Super you got a new kite!! I was thinking of buying a Wainman kite. I have never tried the Evo, so I'm very interested to hear why you have chosen the Evo over the Wainman! Is the Evo good for unhooked wave riding when I just wanna position the kite and ride the wave?

Thanks a lot
Boris
boris
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:57 am

Boris,

The Wainmans are great, really fun, usable and powerful kites. I had some of the first batch for just under 2yrs, was going to change to the 2010's which have been tweaked slightly around bridle posiotion and length, but literally only a centimeter or 2, makes it even more stable. They are really good and if you can try them you should, they look cool and do everything well.

Tried North Fuse/Rebel and Cabrinha Nomads and was definitely going to stick to the new Wainmans, but heard good stuff about the 2010 Evo, the 08 and 09's had pretty good reviews, a few guys who had been on the new ones were raving. Got out on one 3 times, super clean canopy no wrinkles/flapping, really stable and great low end was on the 9m with others on 12's and I weigh 190lbs, loads of depower. It turns really well, constant power delivery, smooth with light and direct bar feeling, the bungees on the steering line connections really seem top make a big difference, was great unhooked and feels like it would boost well too.

If you can try the Wainmans and the Evo, neither would dissappoint, only downside on the Evo's is they dont look as good(other than the white ones which I've gone for) as the Wainmans, in my opinion.

mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby boris » Sat Apr 10, 2010 1:13 pm

mike dubs wrote:Boris,

The Wainmans are great, really fun, usable and powerful kites. I had some of the first batch for just under 2yrs, was going to change to the 2010's which have been tweaked slightly around bridle posiotion and length, but literally only a centimeter or 2, makes it even more stable. They are really good and if you can try them you should, they look cool and do everything well.

Tried North Fuse/Rebel and Cabrinha Nomads and was definitely going to stick to the new Wainmans, but heard good stuff about the 2010 Evo, the 08 and 09's had pretty good reviews, a few guys who had been on the new ones were raving. Got out on one 3 times, super clean canopy no wrinkles/flapping, really stable and great low end was on the 9m with others on 12's and I weigh 190lbs, loads of depower. It turns really well, constant power delivery, smooth with light and direct bar feeling, the bungees on the steering line connections really seem top make a big difference, was great unhooked and feels like it would boost well too.

If you can try the Wainmans and the Evo, neither would dissappoint, only downside on the Evo's is they dont look as good(other than the white ones which I've gone for) as the Wainmans, in my opinion.

mike

Hi Mike.
Thanks for your answer.
Boris
boris
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard