Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

New tricks?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

New tricks?

Postby JonModica » Thu May 13, 2010 2:54 pm

Hey everyone!
Sorry i've been MIA. I have had a crazy year! Life post college is just.....busy.
Anyway... got some good stuff coming soon........., and i wanted to make 1 or 2 short instructional video's.
I was wondering what people were looking to learn?
LET ME KNOW!
later!~
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Re: New tricks?

Postby gman » Fri May 14, 2010 1:02 am

the supercool around the world!

(thinks thats what you called it - hand on board - surface spin - kiteloop)
gman
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Sat May 15, 2010 11:21 am

Jon,

for me, who has only been riding straplesss for 6 months or so, it would be the whole progression in the order you think logical from gybes to tacks to pops, transitions etc etc

Everything and anything would be welcome.

regards

mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby Yosh » Sat May 15, 2010 5:50 pm

been trying to get back rolls... cant seem to get close.. i should probably work on just the grab first then add the rotation... appreciate if you could help out with how to go about this!!!
Yosh
Grom

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sat May 15, 2010 7:00 pm

gman wrote:the supercool around the world!

(thinks thats what you called it - hand on board - surface spin - kiteloop)

Haha. I actually havent done this trick in quite some time. Its actually a pretty easy trick if its flat water and you have good timing.

The key to it is try NOT to spin. Just try to put your front hand (leading hand) down on the board to do a one handed hand-stand. Once you put the hand down, the kite will do the rotation for you!!!!
I'll try to post a video shortly.
lata!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sat May 15, 2010 7:11 pm

mike dubs wrote:Jon,

for me, who has only been riding straplesss for 6 months or so, it would be the whole progression in the order you think logical from gybes to tacks to pops, transitions etc etc

Everything and anything would be welcome.

regards

mike

Hey Mike,
The progression is hard with strapless riding. I've never felt learning is sequential or linear for that matter, and this is especially true with strapless riding!
If i had to decide though, this would be it....
p.s. just ride ride and ride. Dont go back to the twin tip in between sessions. Try to commit atleast 5-10 sessions to only strapless riding! Every time you switch back and forth I feel you spend a good amount of a session just trying to "get the feel".

1) gybes- work on switching to toe side then gybing or gybe and switch from toe side back to heelside. One way doesnt always work the best for both tacks!
For example, on my regular stance, i gybe then i switch....for my switch stance, I switch to toeside and then gybe!
2) Small airs- CONCENTRATE ON NOT GRABBING THE BOARD
3) Airs with grabs
4) Tacks
5)go from there!

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sat May 15, 2010 7:12 pm

Yosh wrote:been trying to get back rolls... cant seem to get close.. i should probably work on just the grab first then add the rotation... appreciate if you could help out with how to go about this!!!

Hm... it depends on whats happening. I could help you out ALOT MORE if you had any pics or video of your attempts!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Sun May 16, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks Jon,

Got the gybes sorted now and just beginning to try the tacks and small airs. Time on the water is hard with the past winter, work etc so only get on 4/6 times a month usually so anything to help speed me up i'm grateful for.

I agree on the twin tip point, haven't been on one since going strapless, sold it.

Keep the tips/videos coming.

regards

Mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby TWIN-FIN » Sun May 16, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Jon,
Dude, you freaking KILLIT!
You're such an inspiration for the whole strapless scene.
Thanks for keeping me stoked.

I would like to learn how to do a strapless JUMP, I talking big air. Pop, grab, fly, drop, land, SMILE and claim it!
I can do 3 to 4 footer off some chop and land them but I have not progressed to grabbing the board. It seems like the whole thing (jump and landing) happen very quickly.
I know its all practice and timing but theres got to be some secrete that I don't know about or something that Im missing.

Thanks for your help, I look forward to your instructional video
Jeff
TWIN-FIN
Grom

Share |

Postby mattv » Mon May 17, 2010 12:30 am

Jon,

Thanks for everything that you do to promote the sport and this style of riding.

I am 100% strapless, skim and surfboard.

I have the gybe, small jumps no grab, but need some help with the larger jumps with a grab, back rolls with a grap, and the tack.

It would also help if you could describe some of your though process when you do these tricks. I remember when I used to ride TT's and was working on my back rolls it helped me to think about which hand was my front hand so that I would not accidentally redirect the kite during the back roll. I would like, pull left, pull left, if I was riding left hand forward so my kite would be in the correct spot to ride away after the trick.

For strapless riding with grabs you only have one hand to control the bar so kite position is a real important factor I would imagine.

Matt
mattv
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby gavin feargrieve » Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:21 pm

I'm being pretty practical here- I'd like to ride strapless all the time but getting out past the break when the waves are 6ft. and higher in onshore/ side on wind is a limiting factor. I usually revert back to riding with straps in those conditions so I can just jump the waves to get out.

What's the best technique(s) for getting out past the break when it's too big to just ride up over? Or is jumping the only way?

I'd like to have some fun with it. You know ... time the wave and just hit the lip like a ramp, grab the board and get some air. But... I keep missing the grab/ have trouble redirecting the kite with one hand/ etc. BTW, I'm doing this with a JS 5'11" Thruster- love this board. It's 6 pounds and has a 2" rail making it easier to hold onto than my Best 6' Thruster. Any tips for grabbing the board?

Cheers.
gavin feargrieve
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard