Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

HELP WITH TACKING

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

HELP WITH TACKING

Postby doc1 » Sun May 30, 2010 2:47 pm

I cant figure how to tack my board,,it looks easy on the videos,but either i cant seem to turn the surfboard enough,or i cannot synchronize myself and the kite..Any tips would be very very helpfull!!thanks
doc1
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: HELP WITH TACKING

Postby JonModica » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:46 am

doc1 wrote:I cant figure how to tack my board,,it looks easy on the videos,but either i cant seem to turn the surfboard enough,or i cannot synchronize myself and the kite..Any tips would be very very helpfull!!thanks

Which type of tack are you trying to do.
1) just tacking the board under your feet (keeping your body still)
2) tacking with the board (your feet stay in the same position so your body spins)

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby doc1 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:18 pm

I was trying tacking with rotation of the body..and i cant make it.Should i try the other way?Is it easier?Could you brake it in to steps for me,please?should i remove one of my finns,i read somewhere that this way the board turns easier..
doc1
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby JonModica » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:11 pm

doc1 wrote:I was trying tacking with rotation of the body..and i cant make it.Should i try the other way?Is it easier?Could you brake it in to steps for me,please?should i remove one of my finns,i read somewhere that this way the board turns easier..

Try spinning with the board, the other way might or might not be easier, but you'll get so much more out of doing the full rotation.

The key is to be ON TOP of the board.
watch this link at 2:30

Notice i put the nose straight into the wind VERY early, then i allow my body to catch up to the board and get right on top of it for the rest of the rotation.
Also notice that once the rotation starts, i am just rotating and not moving in either direction (so im stopped)

let me know if that helps
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby doc1 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:03 pm

This is fast!BUT..i will try it and i ll let you know how i did.Thanks Jon.
doc1
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby sick nick » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:50 pm

The timing depends a lot on your kite, but here's what I do:

First, move your stance back towards the tail relative to your normal riding position, then:

1) with the kite really high begin to edge hard upwind, slowing down.

2) Once you've slowed down, turn your board hard straight into the wind. Simultaneously bring the kite directly over head, or even better start sending it slightly in the other direction. At this point you'll fly off your board if you don't send it far enough back the other way...and if you send it too far you'll fly off the other way!

3) Now do a little hop to switch your feet, while simultaneously sending the kite hard in the other direction (as if doing a water start).

4)As you send the kite hard, the board will naturally want to turn so that you're riding off in the other direction, assuming you turned it far enough into the wind to begin with.

When I was learning tacks, my biggest mistake was not sending the kite soon enough in fear of being ripped off my board. To remedy this I would just plan on looping the kite at step 3, so I'd have to commit to the tack. It took me about 50 attempts before I could ride away from one, then once you land the first several, the feeling will "click."

Hope that helps
sick nick
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby doc1 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm

thanks Nick,you ve been very helpfull and i will nail it sooner or later..i think i am doing the same mistake like you did,i am not sending the kite hard enough to the other side because i am too busy trying to think how to rotate my body.We ll see..
doc1
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby JBone » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:44 am

Good tips!

Let me also add from my learning:

1) Try to learn in flat water
2) Key is to have power and kite at 12 position when you drive the board into the wind
3) Practice doing this on a reach just to get into a tacking rhythm. Look to see if your kite is in the 12 position.
4) It helps to have two hands on the bar so you won't send the kite past 12 position.
5) As you drive the board into the wind and switching your feet forward, start pulling on the back hand. You should get a lift from the kite during the switch.

Patience with learning this transition. It will come to you. It took me a while but once you understand the technique the rest is history.

BTW - Nice vid Jon on the one hand spin trick. That was sick!
JBone
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard