Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

I'm sick of heel dents!

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

I'm sick of heel dents!

Postby chanson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:36 pm

Been riding standard Tuflite 2 and surftech epoxy-skin surfs for a few years now.
Didn't make the switch to kite-production boards because of the weight difference seemed like a big switch...
But, damn, I beat these boards up when doing airs, etc........

Now starting to see some boards that don't seem too different from regular surfs, but have the kite-production/construction to em...

Looking at the Skillet from Cab and the ChopTop from Airush...

loooking for a freestyle, strapless, mushy-wave/gorge-swell, fun board... :mrgreen:

any input..?
I know Modica and Tybo are on here...
thoughts??
chanson
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: I'm sick of heel dents!

Postby Codder » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:11 pm

I've heard the ChopTop is a lil on the heavy side. Don't know about the skillit but I'd really like to try one
Codder
Grom

Share |

Re: I'm sick of heel dents!

Postby ICP » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:41 pm

Board construction is one of the toughest balancing acts. The loads and (more importantly) the expectations of durability are HIGH. Basically, consumers expect that the boards will be as durable as their twin-tips. However the materials used are more similar to what was in twins and wake-boards 5 years ago!

Surfboards are built of EPS or PU foam, wrapped in glass and hard foam. These materials are great, but will never yield the strength that is similar to the wood core twins.

The realities for surfboard feel are that there is a certain amount of flex that is needed to make a shape come alive. you can build a board to minimize breaking and denting, but the boards start feeling stiff and pingy. This is ok if you are using straps, but lets not talk about that....:) Weight is a key factor as well. I have boards that are 6 lbs that are my absoute favorites, but guess what, they are dented. in 7 weather you have to be quick to get back to it or it blows away. I have other boards that are dent free, but they weigh 9 lbs. That is an ok weight for a skate, but they loose feel and are not that fun in the air.

The Chop Top and the the 2011 Skillit are both sandwich construction boards and should be pretty good for feel. The 2010 Skillit is build with a hand lam over EPS. It is truly a surf feel, flex, and weight. It will dent.

Personally, I build my boards with optimized deck reinforcements of Carbon, wood, and some sandwich. I am willing to let my boards wear out over time and don't mind some amount of denting. The boards flex properly and are light.

Ian
ICP
Getting Wet

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard