Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

2011 Skllit 5'6

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

2011 Skllit 5'6

Postby JonModica » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:37 am

Hey all,
Sorry i've been MIA. Grad school.....nuff said
anyway I have been meaning to post a skillit 5'6 update for awhile now.
Im going to shoot with Damien Leroy tomorrow and i'll post vids and photos ASAP with a full review.
You all know i ride for cabrinha but i promise to try to give an objective opinion.
Im pretty impressed with the weight and construction and i know the shape pretty well...so im looking forward to it!
-Jon
Attachments
photo.jpg
photo.jpg (67.91 KiB) Viewed 82371 times
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Re: 2011 Skllit 5'6

Postby tungsten » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:59 am

Hey John, looking forward to your review! One thing I'm especially interested in is the rocker of the skillit, couldn't find any info anywhere. Would you mind posting a pic / dropping the measurements? :D Haven't seen a skillit for real and can't demo one in my neck of the woods, so this would be a great help.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:19 pm

tungsten wrote:Hey John, looking forward to your review! One thing I'm especially interested in is the rocker of the skillit, couldn't find any info anywhere. Would you mind posting a pic / dropping the measurements? :D Haven't seen a skillit for real and can't demo one in my neck of the woods, so this would be a great help.

cheers, tungsten

No worries. I'll grab a shot when i can.
Its a low entry rocker with a medium tail rocker. Overall its a good rocker line for waves under 7 feet.
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby abhthree » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:46 pm

Jon,

I too am interested in your review of the Skilit.

My board knowledge is limited, but I have a few questions for everyone on the shapes that I am seeing and the effects on the ride of the board. Right now I ride a 2007 Naish Custom CR 6'0". It is a tri-fin design, and is getting pretty beat up after some good use. This spring, after reading this forum, I bought a Roush Morpheus and have been spending my lighter wind days in the flats at my local spot working on my skimming.

It appears that many of the boards ridden in small surf and for skate type style riding have a wider area in the front of the board. What is the reason for this and what does it do to the ride? Does this make the board more skatey? Does it slow the board down?

I rode the new LF Fish shaped board and it didn't do it for me. It wasn't nearly as responsive as either of the boards that I own and it has a wider front. Is the wide front characteristic of a board that doesn't turn as sharp, or is this a different function of the LF board?

I am interested in picking up a board with a wider front, but I would like it to also be fast and responsive. I read in one of the posts that the wider area is good for aerial tricks. We don't get a lot of big surf days here on Lake Huron, but I am able to get some good mushy surf at my local spot.

Thanks for all the help,

Arnot
abhthree
Grom

Share |

Postby XShaolin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:11 am

Hi Jon

First post for me here - planning on bying a new board to fully convert to strapless kitesurfing.

Did you ever post that review of the 2011 Skillit 5'6?
It is the exact board I'm looking at buying so I am really interested in hearing everything there is to know about it.
I saw a short video review from Arild (Nordic conditions which is fine since I also live on the Swedish west coast) on it but more meet on the legs please...

Best regards
- Jon (yes same as your's :D )
XShaolin
Grom

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:05 pm

Got out on my new Skillet today in 30-40mph, was out on my resin8 first as there was a bit of chop too. Put a dink in it and changed to the skillet which i thought was going to be a handful in the chop. It wasn't, really enjoyable, handled the chop great, got some good airs, piece of cake to gybe and ride toeside. That extra inch or so width compared to by resin8 makes a real difference.

Mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby tungsten » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:49 pm

hi mike, great to hear again of the skillit, interesting board for sure. lots of good things being said about it.

I unfortunately can't get my hands on one, and I'm really interested to figure out how it works... THE ROCKER of the skillit is something I'd be very keen to know. would you mind taking a pic of your skillit, ideally putting it on a table, shooting a pic from distance (min. 5m), camera being level with the table top. Don't mind resolution, mobile phone camera does the trick.

cheers tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:47 pm

Sorry am not good on technology, So will try and describe, the rocker is medium, quite gradual and about 2/2 1/4 inches. The outline curve and tail shape make it turn really well. The width makles it plane well, its fast but the rocker handles the chop too. Hope that helps.

mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby XShaolin » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:36 am

Now I am even more confused. I found the postings about the 2011 Underground Kipuna and checked it out...
Now I do not know which board to get... the Skillit 5'6 or the Kipuna 5'8!?
Anyone ridden them both? Opinions? Please give me some help deciding :-)

Best regards
Jon
XShaolin
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:09 pm

hey mike, thanks mate, that helps! 'tis roughly like this? :D
Attachments
Imagen 1.png
Imagen 1.png (106.76 KiB) Viewed 81750 times
Imagen 4.png
Imagen 4.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 81750 times
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby JonModica » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:27 pm

tungsten wrote:hey mike, thanks mate, that helps! 'tis roughly like this? :D

Hey Tungsten,
I dont have the exact numbers for the rocker handy, but from what I can see here......not exactly it. Let me see what I can pull up.
More or less I would just copy a surfboard rocket and lower the entry slightly....then instead of just lowering the tail rocker, simply start it farther back.

-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby tungsten » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:27 am

Hi Jon, I posted the wrong pic, this is a Kipuna I am planning to make. As you well know the rocker is so important and has to match the outline... I will try as you said, and if you (or anybody else) ever could post some details for the Skillit rocker I'd be forever grateful. Have searched the web but nothing. Weird. Seems to be top secret. :D
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby CJCraze » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:17 pm

so seeing as you never posted your review in the thread, can we assume the skillet is a no-go?
CJCraze
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard