Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Kick Pad/traction placement/stance

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Kick Pad/traction placement/stance

Postby brass » Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:48 pm

OK so I got my new stick (a 5'8'' custom thruster) a few weeks ago and have ridden it a few times, although only flat water not in the waves. I thought I was doing all of my homework and research when deciding where to put my kick pad and some little pieces of traction for my front feet.

I used wax only for both areas for 4 sessions and finally settled on where to put stuff. I got some from NSI and cut them to the shape I wanted for the front- all good there although I think I erred on the too large a piece side (I hate seeing a surfboard covered in neoprene foam and I don't need it). I rode it for a few more sessions while I waited to decide where to put the kick pad.

I finally settled on the spot for it and decided to put it on; I put it a little more forward because it seemed like the board performed better when my foot was over the front two fins rather than the trailing fin. When I rode it again yesterday it seemed like I didn't put it far enough forward. Most of the time my back foot was in front of my kick pad. If I put my back foot on the kick pad my stance was too wide. Obviously I need to make an adjustment but it seems like if I moved it any further forward- which seems only possible if I buy another one :( - then it is going to look like it is not in the right spot.

I guess my questions are the following:
1) when using a surfboard for kiting do you place your kick pad in the same area as you would if you were using it for surfing?
2) how does the placement of your back foot change the performance of your board?
3) are there ways to move traction around (re-use them) once you have put them in place? If so what technique have you used?
4) will my needs be different in waves than they are for flat water?

Sorry for the long post. Maybe I am over thinking it. This board is so sweet and I want to maximize its potential and have it look badass too. Maybe I am over-thinking this. I never had this problem on my other board but this one is smaller and is maybe how it rides is more affected stance. Any thoughts are appreciated.
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Re: Kick Pad/traction placement/stance

Postby tungsten » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:23 am

Hey brass, I put my tail kick in the rearmost position, that is where I have the foot for the radical maneuvers. When going upwind, I have the rear foot way forward, over or even in front of the thruster fins. But that's all good, i don't need a tail kick to schlogg upwind.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby Kaito » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:24 am

For the rear pad, all the way back for sure.
You'll be glad its back there when you're out in high winds, littt, and need to weigh the rear of the board down to get the fins to bite, and keep your speed in check!

as for taking the pad off once its on...speaking from experience w/the NSI's, it VERY hard! Damn near impossible...
I did manage to relocate my front pad tho, after a constants spraying of LOTS of hot water in the shower, and LOTS of pulling, inch by inch...not fun, and not reccomended..

Good luck & have fun!
K.
Kaito
Pop Shuv-it

Share |

Postby brass » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:39 pm

Thanks guys that was helpful. After writing that I had three more sessions (probably the last of the season) and it seems like you have it right. When I am lit up I need my foot on the pad more toward the rear or when going for airs but when I am schlogging a bit or just cruising along my rear foot comes more forward.

I think I am OK with it. I may rip off the front pads in spite of your warning Kaito and just go with some wax. Thanks again.
brass
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby NickC » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:21 pm

My rear pad is right at the back for reasons already stated and I wax the front as I just can't bring myself to cover the board with a pad. I have been known to put my back foot close to the middle of the board when going back upwind.
NickC
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard