Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Underground Kipuna/Freewave fins

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Underground Kipuna/Freewave fins

Postby John C » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:50 am

Hello out there in strapless land:

I know a few of you have the Kipuna/Freewave and I would like to know if any of you have been experimenting with fins.
I read the two posts on fins and am prepared to buy the F3 and maybe SG's as well. I bought is the small because I am 135lbs and about 5'5". Of course I have been going strapless on my other board (a Spleene Zone) and will be strapless on this one.

Is there any value getting the more expensive smoked/honeycomb ones or not?
What sources do you recommend for fins?
Any othe ideas would be appreciated.
thanks, John
John C
Grom

Share |

Re: Underground Kipuna/Freewave fins

Postby tryinghard » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:49 am

Hey mate,

I have the 5'8" with the thruster setup so you would have a quad setup yeah ? anyway, I found the rear fin on the thruster way too big- switched it for a cheap 3" fin and then went for a set of these 60mm side fins..http://www.turbotunnel.com/product.asp? ... 177..board is super skatey with them in but holds when i want it to, I will be switching fins around when I get back to some decent waves- at the moment I am riding choppy 1ft mush.

ps- I like to ride right into shore so the smaller fins get snapped a bit- these turbo tunnel ones have lasted well.
tryinghard
Grom

Share |

Postby Slyde » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:03 pm

Underground usually upgrade their fins each year. The latest ones seem pretty good. What is it that you want to change about the way the board rides? You may be just burning dollars to find that you come back to the stock ones.
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby John C » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:26 am

Hi Slyde, tryinghard and anyone else.
The board I got is a 2010 thurster. One fin is an odd one because one got broken. The fins are 4.6" which is too big for my 135 lbs so I am looking at smaller ones as suggested by Jon Modica in another thread which are 4.25".
If I look at the Futures F3 which construction is better, the natural plastic or the more expensive smoke hex?
I am not sure if I need to got to something with some foil but I am curious about them. Jon suggests the Super Grom with a little foil. I assume he means that both sides of the outer fins have foil shape instead of flat and convex.
thanks, John
John C
Grom

Share |

Postby cynbad » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:46 pm

I have last year's Underground Pohutu 5'8". The fins it came with were quite nice. But I am a girl and only weigh about 120lbs, ok maybe a little more, but I'm a girl (hahaa). I changed the fins out to Future's Super Groms. They are much looser, but still handle blazing speed. I love them! With the bigger fins, the board felt pudgy and not as skatey. I believe (when not skimming) fins are not a waste of money and they do change the way a board rides.

Here is a picture of my sweet little yellow, Super Groms!
Attachments
Stylie ollie SM.jpg
Stylie ollie SM.jpg (197.01 KiB) Viewed 27009 times
cynbad
Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard