Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Question about Skillet

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Question about Skillet

Postby Brian Kender » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:42 pm

I currently have been riding a 5'10" JS Sonic Surfboard.

http://www.backdoor.co.nz/store/item/vi ... Sonic-5'10

Absolutly love the board, can really move upwind, super fast, and is relatively good on lightwind days as well with my 12m Switch. Unfortunatly the board is getting beat up pretty good as I learn to air out more and more. The top surface where my front foot goes is caved in about 1/2 inch just from my heels landing on the board. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Skillet, but my main question is, how will the skillet compare on lighter wind days to my JS Sonic? I know the JS has 4 more inches of length compared to the 5'6" Skillet, and the JS is a bit wider as well. I think my JS only has about another month or two before my front foot splits the board in half.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Brian.
Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Re: Question about Skillet

Postby Brian Kender » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:33 am

Damn this forum is dead.
Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Postby Lonny » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 am

Hi Brian,

Welcome to LTS.

Unfortunately, the question you asked is rather specific. I can tell you a lot about the Skillet because I have ridden it many times, but I have never ridden your JS Sonic so it would be difficult to answer your question. If someone has more feedback I am sure they will post it. If it is not fast enough for you, and the forum is "dead".. oh well - guess you can post elsewhere. :)

There are quite a few posts on the Skillet if you just use the search function:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=709&start=0&hilit=Skillet
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=413&p=1904&hilit=Skillet#p1904
Represent and get your stickers at The LTS SWAG Shop

Like LTS on Facebook

Dedicated to the progression and evolution of strapless kitesurfing!
http://www.losethestraps.com
Lonny
Shredder

Share |

Postby Brian Kender » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:11 am

Lonny what are you experiences with the skillet on light wind days as opposed to a regular surfboard that you have ridden similiar in shape and size. Isn't the skillet a little bit heavier?
Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:43 am

It's eastertime, everybody's out riding :D

Can't help you with the skillit unfortunately, never rode one.

Good winds!

tungsten

Brian Kender wrote:Damn this forum is dead.
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby mike dubs » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:45 am

As Lonny says, your comparison is very specific.

I am 85kg I ride a 6' resin 8 Sam Egan as my regular board and the 5'6'' skillet when it's choppy or the wind is a bit more marginal. Obviously heavier than the surfboard, but that's the price of srengthening. Can get out on my skillet and 12m Evo from about 12mph.

Mike
mike dubs
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby JonModica » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:32 am

Brian Kender wrote:I currently have been riding a 5'10" JS Sonic Surfboard.

http://www.backdoor.co.nz/store/item/vi ... Sonic-5'10

Absolutly love the board, can really move upwind, super fast, and is relatively good on lightwind days as well with my 12m Switch. Unfortunatly the board is getting beat up pretty good as I learn to air out more and more. The top surface where my front foot goes is caved in about 1/2 inch just from my heels landing on the board. I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Skillet, but my main question is, how will the skillet compare on lighter wind days to my JS Sonic? I know the JS has 4 more inches of length compared to the 5'6" Skillet, and the JS is a bit wider as well. I think my JS only has about another month or two before my front foot splits the board in half.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Brian.

Hey Brian,
I would say it really depends on your weight. To give you an idea, i weigh about 165lbs and can ride the 5'6 skillit in about 11 knots pretty well with a 12m SB.
The length and width of the sonic are indeed a bit bigger. You might be able to find a 5'10 skillit from 2010. I feel that would better suit you.
Try to call Adventure Sports Miami. I believe they might have one laying around.
Good luck!
-Jon
JonModica
Shredder

Share |

Postby Brian Kender » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:09 pm

Thanks Jon, I'm about 15lbs heavier than you. I'll look into the 2010.
BK
Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Postby Todd » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:10 am

I am 185 lbs and I just sold my 2010 and I have ridden both the 2010 and now the 2011 5'6" extensively. The 5'6 is a totally different board. It's slashy and easy to manhandle compared to the 2010. Also, it carries more rocker and has a much smaller nose and a smaller tail. The 2010 is a big board and not super maneuverable in comparison, but it goes in nothing and is super good is crappy surf with light wind. The 5'6 fits a much wider range of conditions, is a good surfing board but still big enough for huge airs and freestyle. It's a much better mix of surfing and freestyle in my opinion. I would look at softer side fins (basic plastic futures fins work great!) if you are planning to use it in bumpy conditions because it is a lot more durable in 2011 with full wood deck, but stiffer.
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard