Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Gaining Ground going UPWIND on my Surf Problem

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Gaining Ground going UPWIND on my Surf Problem

Postby Lmrutledge » Sun May 01, 2011 11:01 am

I weigh in at 240 lbs. I am currently riding an Aviso 6 ft 6 Doc Lausch. I have also ridden the North Kontact 6 ft 3 on a few occasions. I seem to HOLD my ground riding heelside, however dont gain any ground working upwind. Riding Toeside I can just hold some ground and not even close at making progress going upwind.

Any advice would be appreciated. Is there a Wind Minimum that I should be looking for to accomplish better upwind progress?

Thx in advance,

LMR
Lmrutledge
Grom

Share |

Re: Gaining Ground going UPWIND on my Surf Problem

Postby Slyde » Mon May 02, 2011 5:53 am

Well, you're a big guy so firstly you need to be powered. Assuming you are then the type of board and fin size makes a difference. It also depends on the conditions you ride in. If its onshore wind and swell you are going to have problems on a board with a lot of rocker. Thats why there are specific boards made for this type of conditions. You will need a flat rockered board with good size fins to make any ground, but the downside is that you lose the ability to snap turns. If its cross shore then getting upwind is less of an issue and you can go for a more surf oriented board. For me I can make way more headway on a 5'6" Kipuna than a 6'1" surfboard and that is all down to rocker. I dont know the Aviso , but the Kontact is a high wind/big surf board so may have too much rocker.
Having said all that a lot of it comes down to technique and learning how to get the best out of your kit. Unless you ride toeside alot it is hard to get enough leverage to make consistent ground, so learn to switch to heelside both ways and back again, that way you can get upwind then flip to toeside to ride a wave. Also to remember to move your weight forward compared to a twin tip. When you are strapless this is easy. Don't put the rear foot too far back unless you are really powered.
Is there a wind minimum?...Hell yeah! At 240 lbs you need a big kite or a decent breeze. Maybe thats your problem...not enough power.
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Postby Nick » Tue May 17, 2011 9:40 am

You probably just don't have enough power, i really struggle to even stay at one point untill the breeze hits about 17kts then i just fly upwind without really trying. It's not something that gets progressively better, either i have enough power and can fly upwind or i'm stuck at one point.
Nick
Grom

Share |

Postby NickC » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:46 pm

Learn to ride switch. I ride Goofy and can make good ground running toeside but as soon as I switch to natural I can stonk up wind even in light winds. I'm 75kg, fly a 12m Ozone Catalyst with a 6ft Circle One board on light wind days.
NickC
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard