Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Board for light wind/Small wave surfing

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Board for light wind/Small wave surfing

Postby Nick » Mon May 16, 2011 10:33 am

I'm looking for a board which i can ride with or without a kite primarily on very small waves and light wind. Currently I'm riding a 6'0" naish custom global strapless. I find the global to need a lot of speed to perform, having difficulty going upwind in the 14-18 kt range. On days with more than 20 though the global is a dream and i'm definitely not looking to replace it for these conditions. It's lively and fast and wants all the speed i can give it in these conditions.

I weigh about 205, i've been kiting for about 4 months, and i've gotten to the point where i can jibe the global in chop and surf without problems.

I want a board that will extend the bottom of my wind rang a little bit and also be something i can have fun surfing without a kite in small, mushy conditions.

I've been looking at regular surfboards with fairly flat tail rockers, fish, retro fish, as well as some of the specific firewire boards.

Considering firewire dominator, spitfire, el fuego.

My thought is becasue i have a high wind board, i can go with a more fragile surf construction for light wind as it will see lower forces, abuse?

I'd appreciate any insight. Thanks for a great forum. Loving strapless riding
Nick
Grom

Share |

Re: Board for light wind/Small wave surfing

Postby spewing » Tue May 17, 2011 6:35 am

Im about the same weight as you and have been searching for a board that i can kite in light winds but also surf.

Problem is when i surf i normally ride a long board and whilst i can surf the boards ive used to kite at about 200lb i really struggle unless the surf is good and quiet.

The closest Ive come to a light wind kite and board i could surf was a McTavish Micro. Fine with the kite but i didn't like surfing it in good surf with such a wide tail relative top its length.

When i see a cheep surftech second hand i buy it to try the shape and then move it on. The surftech i would really like to try is the 6'6" soul fish but ive not seen one cheep enough yet to take the risk of it working.

Sorry not much help but for me weight is not on my side when it comes to surfing and kiteing with the same board. Im coming to the conclusion that one board wont do everything.

Kev
spewing
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby FredBGG » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Lost Mayhem 6'6" Aviso hollow carbon fiber edition. Light floaty and goes upwind very nicely.
Hollow hull gives it recoil out of the bottom turn.

To really push the bottom end more, but lose a bit of agility in small waves the Don Johnston 6'8" mini gun is great. Again the Aviso edition.
FredBGG
Getting Wet

Share |

Postby cynbad » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:35 pm

The 5'8" Firewire Dominator is an absolute dream ride in lighter winds and mushy surf. It is a little big for my size but would be perferct for your weight. Nice floaty width and buoyancy for paddling in without a kite also! Worth the extra coin as the construction can take the abuse of kiting without heal denting and eventually snapping.
cynbad
Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard