Re: A Work In Progress: Video by Nate Apple
Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: LF Skate 5'11" 2008 vs LF Skate 5'11" 2009
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop

Snapped 2011 Skillet in half...get a 2012?

Are you killing it on your surfboard? Have a question about riding styles or a trick? What surfboards work, what doesn't. This is the place to talk about your surfboard gear.

Moderators: Todd, JonModica

Snapped 2011 Skillet in half...get a 2012?

Postby Brian Kender » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:02 pm

So I snapped my 2011 Skillet in half after about 5 months, I guess to much airing out :shock: . Anyways my question is, is there much of a difference between the 2011 and 2012? Right now I can save some $$ if I grab another 2011. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
BK.

Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Re: Snapped 2011 Skillet in half...get a 2012?

Postby Todd » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 pm

Ouch!! These boards are pretty tough. I'm glad you are getting some good use out of it!! In 2012, the wood changes to Cork. The cork is much softer and the board rides a lot nicer, but it's not going to be as bomb proof as the wood. It's sort of the bend not break theory over the stiff, stiff, stiff, and rarely break theory of 2011. I hope this helps!!
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby Brian Kender » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:54 am

Thanks Todd.
Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Postby Brian Kender » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:28 pm

Todd, thinking about this...you said the 2012 is softer....does this mean that it will be more prone to preassure dings from my heel's after airing out compared to the 2011?
Brian Kender
Grom

Share |

Postby dugman » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Brian Kender wrote:Todd, thinking about this...you said the 2012 is softer....does this mean that it will be more prone to preassure dings from my heel's after airing out compared to the 2011?

It looks to me that they do get heal dents easier. I have seen a few 2012 this past week. It is a trade off between stiffness or the flex of the cork. I got to try the cork Trigger a couple of weeks ago and could feel the flex right away. The cork has a way of dampening out the chop a little compared to the wood. (nice when going down a choppy wave) I personally liked the cork feel.
dugman
Grom

Share |

Postby Todd » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:24 pm

I don't have any dings yet, but it is possible. Our season is just starting, so I don't have long term hours to know what the board will look like with some major abuse yet.
Todd
Shredder

Share |

Postby Blacktip » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:11 am

I dont have a surfing background, but i do ride kitesurfboards for some years.
There is a lot going on about flex, and using a weak but true surfboard.
What is the reason you would want a board to ride softer or flexier?

It sure cant be because of comfort in choppy condities. Well it can be a welcome advantage.
But at what point during your ''wave ride'' would you want a board to flex? and what for?

thx
Blacktip
Grom

Share |

Postby hangtimefive7 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:16 am

There is nothing nicer than riding a traditional surfboard with a kite in waves - period. The flex characteristics of a PU board make for a smooth ride, but most importantly projection into, through, and out of turns is enhanced compared with stiffer kite-surfboards. The difference is more detectable if you have a surfing background and surf traditionally constructed craft (not China shapes). Many kitesurfboards sacrifice flex in favour of strength, although a few brands such as firewire have successfully married the two. That said you WILL snap a traditional PU surfboard kiting.
hangtimefive7
Grom

Share |

Postby airsails » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:27 pm

Broke my 2011 Skillet the other day, awkward strapless landing on toeside. Creased just forward of the fins along the top. Cabrinha being very nice people will replace the board (seems it had some dry glass), either with the 2011 or 2012. Question is which one to get, heal dent will happen more on the cork model but is the flex better to help with breakage?
Thanks
Tim
airsails
Grom

Share |

Return to Shredding on your Surfboard