Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

my carbon fish (strapless for now)

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

my carbon fish (strapless for now)

Postby patrickrynne » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:52 pm

Okay, so technically this shouldn't be posted as a strapless board because I will be adding front straps soon. But in my defense, this board is going to be my dedicated course racing board for the next few months, so I think it's a valid excuse.

I built this board in college with the help of a local CnC machine and guidance for a local shaper. It ended up sitting in my garage in new england for years, and then came down with me to florida to sit in another garage. Finally I got a local glasser to add plugs and put some additional glass over the carbon to add some strength for kiting.

Here is the fin theory...i went for a quad with the lead fins farther forward (about 1 chord length) and outboard to reduce the downstream effects onto the trailing fins. I have the fins parrallal to the stringer for better upwind performance (though that makes it harder to turn), and a cant angle outward of about 5 degrees. Most racers have been canting at angles around 20 degrees plus, but I expect those numbers to go down as we race the boards flatter.

Threw some generic futures fins on there for now, and it goes upwind like the devil....working on custom fins which i think will make it even better.
Attachments
carbonfish2.jpg
carbonfish2.jpg (134.17 KiB) Viewed 20046 times
carbonfish1.jpg
carbonfish1.jpg (139.57 KiB) Viewed 20044 times
patrickrynne
Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Build it and they will ride...