Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Repairing my skim, laminating advice wanted

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

Repairing my skim, laminating advice wanted

Postby Slyde » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:58 pm

Hi, I'm in the process of repairing my broken Cabal Roush Fire. It snapped awhile ago along the bottom 2/3rds of the way to the tail. The deck seemed OK so I have kept it and epoxyed in a couple of layers of glass between it and a new piece of foam about 10cm wide at the breakage point and faired it all up ready for reglassing the bottom. I'm pretty happy with the prep so far. I've built alot of boards over the years, but never built a foamie skim. The decision always comes down to how many layers of glass to laminate. For all my twin tips I used 2 layers of 4 oz e-glass top and bottom with foot patches. I've never broken one of those boards. I took the entire bottom laminate off the broken skim and it looked like a composite glass/carbon layer, probably a single composite layer. I'm not going to replace the carbon as I think it makes boards too stiff, so the decision is whether to go with 2 or 3 layers of 4 oz e-glass, bearing in mind I'm relaminating the entire bottom. The weight difference will probably end up being 2-300 grams between the 2 choices, but maybe 2 layers will be too weak. Does anyone here have any experience or know what is on a typical glass foamie?
Cheers
Slyde
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Re: Repairing my skim, laminating advice wanted

Postby tungsten » Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi Slyde, if you're not using it on a slider you should get away with 2x4OZ e glass. That's plenty strong for a bottom for normal riding. For slider use, rather beef it up.

Cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Re: Repairing my skim, laminating advice wanted

Postby Slyde » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:39 am

Thanks Mate, I just got on and relaminated it with 3 layers. Its a bit heavy now but will be bomber, I think you are right though, next time I would go 2 layers and keep the weight down a little more. Gonna try it this weekend wind permitting and will post pics if its good.
Thanks for replying
Slyde
Slyde
Shuv-it

Share |

Return to Build it and they will ride...