Re: Movie: White Caps and Summer Hacks
Re: Which Front Pad
Re: Lake Erie Wave Day
Re: Kite setup tips/tricks
Re: Which table to choose
Re: Strapless Air Transition with heli-loop
Re: Make your own fins - #2 THE FIN SHAPER

Help me make a skimboard, please.

Thinking about tinkering around with building a new strapless toy? Have some feedback about construction, materials, rocker line? Post it here.

Moderators: Lonny, Todd, JonModica, tungsten

Help me make a skimboard, please.

Postby rasmuskk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:41 am

Hi guys. I've been interested in getting into kiteskimboarding for a while now, but money has kept me from it.

Now I've got my hands on a piece of plywood and hope to turn it into a skimboard.

Can you give me some advice on size and rocker?
My weight is 65-70kg(144-154lbs) so I'm a light guy, and I'll mainly be using the skim in lighwind.

I can do tacks and jibes on strapless surfboards, and I expect to pick up skimboarding quickly so I'm not interested in making a "beginner" skim.

I've seen this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157 but I don't know which board i should try copying.

Thanks a lot.

Rasmuskk.
rasmuskk
Grom

Share |

Re: Help me make a skimboard, please.

Postby tungsten » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:06 am

Hi rasmuskk, yeah it is always difficult to make up your mind when you build a new board. First, IMO there is no such thing as a beginner skim vs. a pro skim, as far as shape is concerned. It's rather about the conditions you want to use it in. It would be helpful if you could post the conditions you likely use the skim (wind, chop / flat / wave, grinders, asf.).

From experience I can tell you that many people start with a skim because they want a light wind toy, and when they have it, they use it in all kinds of conditions because it's fun. Also, are you familiar with wood work and / or laminating? Just to know where a starting point is.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Postby rasmuskk » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:37 am

Hi Tungsten
and thank you for your quick reply.

tungsten wrote:From experience I can tell you that many people start with a skim because they want a light wind toy, and when they have it, they use it in all kinds of conditions because it's fun. Also, are you familiar with wood work and / or laminating? Just to know where a starting point is.
cheers, tungsten

Sounds like what I tell my old windsurf friends who wants to give kiteboarding a go. But you're spot on. I mainly ride freestyle and drive to the nice flatwater freestyle spots in Denmark. Sometimes when I get there the wind is too light - Thats when I hope to take out the skim. So flat water and light wind. But as you say, who knows where I might end up.

When it comes to woodwork. I really suck. But I'll visit my parents in near future, and my dad, who used to teach woodcraft, has promised to help me out. I'm hoping to finish it in a couple of days.

looking forward to seeing your reply.
rasmuskk
Grom

Share |

Postby tungsten » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:46 am

Great start! Your dad is going to be a big help, and as he's a pro, he will likely want to make it beautiful. Good for you :D

A good start would be a woody like described here http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=357

You can chose other shapes from boards as described here http://www.losethestraps.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157
in any occasion, I would stick to Lonny's Magic Measurements, which are
length 54"
width 20"
entrance rocker (for flat water) 1.5" to 2", beginning at 1/3 from the tip
entrance rocker (for an allround / wave board) 2.5", beginning at 1/3 from the tip
tail rocker 1/2" to 3/4", beginning at 1/3 from the tail
middle: flat

Now, woody: you can make it out of ply wood and glue i.e. 2 layers of 3mm plus 1 layer of 5mm together (LIGHT wood, not marine grade, too heavy), and either paint it with boat paint, or better glass it over. If you get your hands on balsa wood or other light wood... ask your daddy what's possible, give him the above measurements, and try to achieve a board which is 2.5-3kg in weight. Glassing adds great stiffness, but a ply board normally is sturdy enough to start with. Use PU glue.

cheers, tungsten
tungsten
Shredder

Share |

Return to Build it and they will ride...